Predators v sulcata

laney

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Aberdeen, Scotland
When my sully is big I plan to let him have free roam of my secure yard/garden. There are foxes and cats(of the domestic type lol), would they bother a big sully?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No one can say for sure, but those two animals would not likely be a problem for a large sulcata in my experience.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
...once they get over 50lbs, you can rule out foxes, raccoons and large predatory birds. Rats and fire ants on the other hand can cause serious problems thoughout their life time.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
In regard to the animals listed as not harming a 50+pounder, keep in mind this doesn't rule out contamination of the area from the feces of these animals. House cat turds can be problematic if the cat is being treated for something. Just thoughts…

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
Thanks, I have a long time to monitor the situation since he's only 35g, planning a long way ahead lol
Would be good to let him roam free tho, hopefully I can.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
...once they get over 50lbs, you can rule out foxes, raccoons and large predatory birds. Rats and fire ants on the other hand can cause serious problems thoughout their life time.
Really? At 50lbs you can rule out raccoons???

Arnold_rules

5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
Reading the title, I thought this was the start of a great Sci-Fi thread. First there was Aliens and then Predator, then Alien vs Predatory, NOW Sulcata vs Predator, coming to a theater near you. OK, may be it is just my twisted mind.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Here feral cats and crows are a problem. Thats why my Greek tortoise's enclosure is going to be closed from the top. :(

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Really? At 50lbs you can rule out raccoons???
At 50Lbs+ most raccoons wouldn't concider attacking an armored creature of this size. That is not say that a pack of starving raccoons wouldn't try. The fact is, when they get to that size, they are way too much trouble and raccoons are basiclly lazy by nature.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
I however, have no idea what predators lurk in SCOTLAND. Just the south eastern United States.
A friend I have from Ireland just got a funny look on his face and said, “Predators? In Scotland? I think they killed them all. Maybe fox and not sure if the lochness monster is carnivorous. Then there are the drunken soccer hooligans!"

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
Must update my info, no longer in scotland so Nessie isn't a problem anymore :p
Now in southeast England near London, I think it's just foxes I need to worry about so far lol

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
if it was a small tort i'd think the heaps bloody seagulls we have that would be the biggest risk. but for a big sully i'd think stray dogs would pose a much bigger risk than any of the wild animals we have in england