Researching For Future Sulcatas

beakylauren

Location (City and/or State)
Tx
Hello there!!

My family and I are looking to rescue 2 female sulcata tortoises! Yay!

As I’m doing research I’ve gathered a few questions:

Is 300 square feet big enough for two adult females?

We’re from Houston, Tx and live right next to a forest. There are a few predators around (bobcats, coyotes, foxes, feral hogs, raccoons, snakes, etc.) Should we build a lid with mesh to the whole top of their enclosure?

Do you have any good shed recommendations? I’ve been searching and searching!

Thank you and love to all! ❤️

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello there!!

My family and I are looking to rescue 2 female sulcata tortoises! Yay!

As I’m doing research I’ve gathered a few questions:

Is 300 square feet big enough for two adult females?

We’re from Houston, Tx and live right next to a forest. There are a few predators around (bobcats, coyotes, foxes, feral hogs, raccoons, snakes, etc.) Should we build a lid with mesh to the whole top of their enclosure?

Do you have any good shed recommendations? I’ve been searching and searching!

Thank you and love to all! ❤
Hello and welcome.

300 square feet is a good size for a little juvenile. An adult needs something closer to 2500 sq feet. 50x50', or something similar. They need lots of room to walk. I was just standing in from of one of my 50x50 pens years day that has a single 60 pound male in it and thinking, man, I need to make this pen bigger...

With the exception of the hogs, everyone in the country, and Canada too, has those same wild predators lurking about. Its not usually an issue in the day time, and you'll have them securely locked in their heated box at night to keep them warm and safe. No need for a top for larger sulcatas.

You'll need to house them separately. They should never live in pairs. They don't like other tortoises in their territory, and its very stressful on both of them to constantly have another tortoise around.

For their night quarters, you can build two of these:

Or one of these:

If you make the door 16 inches tall by 26 inches wide, you won't have to build another one when they get bigger.

Here is some info on what to feed them:

Questions and conversation are welcome! :)

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
as tom said they need WAYY more space, you should get something smaller maybe a Red-foot? they get pretty big but no where close the to Sulcata.

i’m from Houston,TX as well! ? and your a young Lad like me.

L

LasTortugasNinja

All those are nocturnal predators, which as Tom said, won't be an issue since they'd be in heated enclosures for safety. They only wild thing I've ever heard of going after a smaller sulcata during the day time are golden eagles, which can mistake them for desert tortoises which are part of their natural diet.

Unless you have golden eagles in your area, I think you'll be ok.

beakylauren

Tx
Hello and welcome.

300 square feet is a good size for a little juvenile. An adult needs something closer to 2500 sq feet. 50x50', or something similar. They need lots of room to walk. I was just standing in from of one of my 50x50 pens years day that has a single 60 pound male in it and thinking, man, I need to make this pen bigger...

With the exception of the hogs, everyone in the country, and Canada too, has those same wild predators lurking about. Its not usually an issue in the day time, and you'll have them securely locked in their heated box at night to keep them warm and safe. No need for a top for larger sulcatas.

You'll need to house them separately. They should never live in pairs. They don't like other tortoises in their territory, and its very stressful on both of them to constantly have another tortoise around.

For their night quarters, you can build two of these:

Or one of these:

If you make the door 16 inches tall by 26 inches wide, you won't have to build another one when they get bigger.

Here is some info on what to feed them:

Questions and conversation are welcome! :)
Hey thank you so so much! This is very helpful!! I’m surprised they can’t live in pairs, I thought most people housed them together.

We have other options so we can do a larger enclosure, which is exciting!

I do have another question, though.
We have a large grassy area where we can keep them, but it’s somewhat near the road. My parents are worried some troubled teen or adult would steal the tortoises because they’re so easily spotted.
We also have a forest area we can clear for them, which is more hidden, but it would require a lot more work. I’ll include pictures of both for fun ;) But I’m just wondering if people steal tortoises? Is that a thing? Haha, it seems like it could happen with tortoises in the “open.” But is it common enough to worry about?

❤❤

EF30B951-00AD-4D15-B568-3EA9F426DE6F.jpegimage.jpg

beakylauren

Tx
as tom said they need WAYY more space, you should get something smaller maybe a Red-foot? they get pretty big but no where close the to Sulcata.

i’m from Houston,TX as well! ? and your a young Lad like me.
I’m a little bit partial to sulcatas because they’re hardier and great for the weather (plus I’m in love with big tortoises!) But I will look into other species and red-foots are adorable! We have alternatives to the enclosure to provide more space, but it would just take a bit more work.
I love Texas!! It’s so great! ?⭐️

beakylauren

Tx
All those are nocturnal predators, which as Tom said, won't be an issue since they'd be in heated enclosures for safety. They only wild thing I've ever heard of going after a smaller sulcata during the day time are golden eagles, which can mistake them for desert tortoises which are part of their natural diet.

Unless you have golden eagles in your area, I think you'll be ok.
Awesome!! Thank you for this!?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey thank you so so much! This is very helpful!! I’m surprised they can’t live in pairs, I thought most people housed them together.

We have other options so we can do a larger enclosure, which is exciting!

I do have another question, though.
We have a large grassy area where we can keep them, but it’s somewhat near the road. My parents are worried some troubled teen or adult would steal the tortoises because they’re so easily spotted.
We also have a forest area we can clear for them, which is more hidden, but it would require a lot more work. I’ll include pictures of both for fun ;) But I’m just wondering if people steal tortoises? Is that a thing? Haha, it seems like it could happen with tortoises in the “open.” But is it common enough to worry about?

❤❤
Groups can sometimes work, but not pairs. Too personal.

Grassy area looks nice, but yes, people will definitely steal them.

They need an area with open grassy areas, but also some shade trees.

beakylauren

Tx

Looks like we’ll be definitely be clearing the forest area! Thank you for your help, Tom!?❤️

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief

yup i remember when i first got my sulcata some one stole it... from its enclosure. in my yard which the tortoise was in a enclosed chamber which was a black tote... and it was a young 11 yr old kid. so they would definitely steal him or her.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
I’m a little bit partial to sulcatas because they’re hardier and great for the weather (plus I’m in love with big tortoises!) But I will look into other species and red-foots are adorable! We have alternatives to the enclosure to provide more space, but it would just take a bit more work.
I love Texas!! It’s so great! ?⭐
well with the pictures that you provided seems to be enough to house a couple of them, it some one could see the tortoise it somebody would eventually steal it so i don’t suggest it.

idk but i get hyped when i see some else from Houston! where i am theres no people that would be in here. lmao

beakylauren

Tx
yup i remember when i first got my sulcata some one stole it... from its enclosure. in my yard which the tortoise was in a enclosed chamber which was a black tote... and it was a young 11 yr old kid. so they would definitely steal him or her.
That is so very sad, I am so sorry that happened!

beakylauren

Tx
yup, so what’s up you made up your mind? are you getting tortoise?
?
Thank you for asking!! This whole process is still in the early stages, but I think we will! I am so blessed to be in a family that will help me out with this project and caring for them! (but I’m the animal person, so I’m doing all the research??)
At the moment we’re beginning to lean toward Burmese mountain tortoises rather than Sulcatas. Spent almost the entire day researching and have lots of questions to figure out which is very. fun.
But if you or anyone know any specific things about them or if you think I should look into them further that would be amazing to let me know!

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Thank you for asking!! This whole process is still in the early stages, but I think we will! I am so blessed to be in a family that will help me out with this project and caring for them! (but I’m the animal person, so I’m doing all the research??)
At the moment we’re beginning to lean toward Burmese mountain tortoises rather than Sulcatas. Spent almost the entire day researching and have lots of questions to figure out which is very. fun.
But if you or anyone know any specific things about them or if you think I should look into them further that would be amazing to let me know!
i have no Experience with Mountain Tortoises, can’t help you here. very hard to find here in Houston

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
These are great tortoise, but you won't be rescuing any. You will be buying this species.

@Yvonne G has both types. She can tell you all about them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The Burmese mountain tortoise (Manouria emys phayrei) come from the tropical rain forest, and can't live in that wide open grassland you show in the picture. They can have areas of sunshine, but most of their yard needs to be. . . well, rain forest.

I have a well planted section behind my garage that has sprinkler-type drip emitters on drip line mounted high on T-posts. I run the drip daily during the summer. This is a very human-oriented tortoise and can be quite entertaining. They are also very prehistoric and slow moving. One of the best places to buy Manouria tortoises is "Defying Destiny" in Florida. It's Vic Morgan. I've bought tortoises from him in the past and he sells healthy and robust animals.