Power is out.

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Power is back. Yeah! Everyone survived just fine. Lost a tree, four fence posts, a ghetto shed, and some of our roof, but nothing catastrophic thankfully.
I'm glad everybody is OK. I can just imagine your tortoise room, I bet it's a little crowded in there :) you guys did a great job, I was stressing a little about what I was going to do with my two tortoises. Luckily the power came on after a few hours. And I bet there's not a generator to be found in the stores up there now.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
My dad is looking for a generator and having no luck. You are very right about that. I was very fortunate to get one yesterday. Some will be without power for several days to a week they are saying. My dad and son and his family among them. My house may be getting pretty crowded soon.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I remember huddling in our basement during the ice storms in '96. I was still in elementary school so I thought it was "cool" despite the fact that there was a tree on our house and we didn't have power for 10 days. We had the wood stove AND all of my frogs, toads, lizards and other critters got to sleep with us in the basement.

I've been getting calls and texts all day about folks asking what to do with their critters for the next 5-7 days. :(

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I remember huddling in our basement during the ice storms in '96. I was still in elementary school so I thought it was "cool" despite the fact that there was a tree on our house and we didn't have power for 10 days. We had the wood stove AND all of my frogs, toads, lizards and other critters got to sleep with us in the basement.

I've been getting calls and texts all day about folks asking what to do with their critters for the next 5-7 days. :(
So what have you been telling them? What do you suggest they do?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
My dad is looking for a generator and having no luck. You are very right about that. I was very fortunate to get one yesterday. Some will be without power for several days to a week they are saying. My dad and son and his family among them. My house may be getting pretty crowded soon.
Yep, you better scoot over. Sounds like you're going to have a lot of people there. Hopefully the stores will get in some generator soon. It is supposed to get real cold next week.
I tried to handwarmers in a 3 gallon tote with the lid on for each tortoise. 10 minutes after I put the tortoises in the power came back on. So I put them back in their own enclosures but I kept the temperature gage and everything in the totes and checked it this morning. The temperature was 79° but the humidity was 91%. So that is not going to work, too humid with not enough heat. I'm going to have to come up with another plan. Maybe I could just sneak them in to work :) :) they have a generator of course.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I've been suggesting hot water bottles if at all possible, or rice-bag hand warmers as well as wrapping and insulating cages, moving them away from drafts, etc. Some heat is better than no heat. I have a friend with leopard geckos up north near the boarder in a rural area who may not have power for more than a week, I think her critters are on their way to my parents house. For another friend who lost power just to her house because of a downed line she ran an extension cord from a neighbor to power the phone charger and a heat light. She said shes switching the phone charger off with the coffee maker (priorities, ya know?)

When I managed a vet clinic I would just have everyone bring them in for boarding (if we had power) since my vets could NEVER make it in from up at Mt. Spokane when the power went out. I lived a mile from the clinic and would go take care of things and liked having friends hanging out with snakes and lizards. I always got free coffee out of it.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Yep, you better scoot over. Sounds like you're going to have a lot of people there. Hopefully the stores will get in some generator soon. It is supposed to get real cold next week.
I tried to handwarmers in a 3 gallon tote with the lid on for each tortoise. 10 minutes after I put the tortoises in the power came back on. So I put them back in their own enclosures but I kept the temperature gage and everything in the totes and checked it this morning. The temperature was 79° but the humidity was 91%. So that is not going to work, too humid with not enough heat. I'm going to have to come up with another plan. Maybe I could just sneak them in to work :) :) they have a generator of course.
What made it humid? That temp, and dry would be ok. Are those warmers humid? Maybe with a dry substrate? Newspaper shredded?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
What made it humid? That temp, and dry would be ok. Are those warmers humid? Maybe with a dry substrate? Newspaper shredded?
I'm not sure. The tortoise was only in it, I had the gauge and only one of them, for about 15 minutes. Then the lights came back on. The two handwarmers were wrapped in a shop rag. No substrate. Maybe the tortoise peed. I should make sure I have dry substrate ready.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Great to hear power is back and that you're all well.:D

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I have been wanting to invest in a generator as well. I live kinda in the country now with above ground power, so...I'm guessing power loss is inevitable. I have a house full of birds to keep warm too...I'm thinking I'll need a pretty big generator.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi Jodie. Is power back?:) I sincerely hope to hear it is.

Meanwhile, take care. :):tort:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Yes. Thank heavens. A lot of people here are not as lucky. It got really cold too, so praying for all them.
Finally! GREAT! This happens here every now and then during Winter.:( I know what it means: no lights, no TV, no refrigerator, no microwave, no washing machine, and if battery dies....no laptop/cell phone!!:mad:

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Finally! GREAT! This happens here every now and then during Winter.:( I know what it means: no lights, no TV, no refrigerator, no microwave, no washing machine, and if battery dies....no laptop/cell phone!!:mad:
No heat is the big problem here. Our highs for the next week or so will barely be over freezing. Lows are way below freezing. Does it get cold in winter there?

destortoise

VA and WA
My family is around your area :( I'm originally from there but moved east for school. Stay safe. Power outages are my worst nightmare for my torts =/

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
No heat is the big problem here. Our highs for the next week or so will barely be over freezing. Lows are way below freezing. Does it get cold in winter there?
You are right: I'd forgotten HEAT!;) That is despite the fact that Winter, cold weather, rain and....snow are all "my enemies!!" :(

To everyone's surprise and sometimes shock it not only gets cold here in Winter, but it SNOWS almost every year!!!:rolleyes: Do you believe that? Last Winter it snowed and we were "imprisoned" at home for about 10 days or so. TVs gave "no signal, nothing to do, nowhere to go to, and endless hours. Personally, I had only OLI :<3: and my laptop giving me company. Goodness, what a BORE it was! We were cautioned NOT to move whatever the reason, and to call JPD (Jordan Police Dept) or CDD (Civil Defence Dept) for emergencies, GOD forbid.

The "problem" with the climate here is that it's "desert climate" whereas it's either
a) BOILING HOT in Summer :<3: (which I LOVE!) or
b) FREEZING COLD in Winter with rain and SNOW. and NO, NO, NO Autumn or Spring! It's either black or white. Too bad.
is
:mad: Look at this pic of SNOW in Amman!! Incredible to those in the West, that I know. (No offense to anyone). People in USA and Europe think that it's hot/warm all year round here.:rolleyes:

Tell me frankly please, Jodie, would you have expected to hear/see this?;)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
You are right: I'd forgotten HEAT!;) That is despite the fact that Winter, cold weather, rain and....snow are all "my enemies!!" :(

To everyone's surprise and sometimes shock it not only gets cold here in Winter, but it SNOWS almost every year!!!:rolleyes: Do you believe that? Last Winter it snowed and we were "imprisoned" at home for about 10 days or so. TVs gave "no signal, nothing to do, nowhere to go to, and endless hours. Personally, I had only OLI :<3: and my laptop giving me company. Goodness, what a BORE it was! We were cautioned NOT to move whatever the reason, and to call JPD (Jordan Police Dept) or CDD (Civil Defence Dept) for emergencies, GOD forbid.

The "problem" with the climate here is that it's "desert climate" whereas it's either
b) FREEZING COLD in Winter with rain and SNOW. and NO, NO, NO Autumn or Spring! It's either black or white. Too bad.
is
:mad: Look at this pic of SNOW in Amman!! Incredible to those in the West, that I know. (No offense to anyone). People in USA and Europe think that it's hot/warm all year round here.:rolleyes:

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia

is

Wow that is some crazy weather you have there!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
My family is around your area :( I'm originally from there but moved east for school. Stay safe. Power outages are my worst nightmare for my torts =/
I worry about Oli as well in such cases.