Power is out.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Really bad wind storm today. Lost power and had to go buy a generator. I am cold and wet, but my tortoises are warm and dry. Brought everyone into the leopard room. Plugged in a heater to keep ambient up and plugged in the thermostat for the yearlings enclosure. Put my 2 hatchling in shoe boxes on a shelf inside.
Kind of worried about my incubators, but have a plan if Power stays out.
Hope everyone weather's the storms ok.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I've heard about the mess up there, I'm glad I was there last week and wont have to be back until Thanksgiving. I hear they closed I-90 and 395 so I couldn't have gotten up there if I wanted to.

Stay safe, stay warm. I'm about to call my parents up at Newman Lake/Otis Orchards and see how they are holding up.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi Jodie. Hope power is back, and that you are well.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Hi Jodie. Hope you are managing ok.
What kind of generator are you using?
1600 watts Tradespro, I think it is called. Just a loud emergency one. We have been saying for months that we needed to get one, and kept putting off doing the research to figure out a good one. We just bought what they had last night. It is keeping my tortoise room running though, so good enough.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
1600 watts Tradespro, I think it is called. Just a loud emergency one. We have been saying for months that we needed to get one, and kept putting off doing the research to figure out a good one. We just bought what they had last night. It is keeping my tortoise room running though, so good enough.
It's something I'm going to have to look into. Although we don't have many power cuts. But better safe than sorry. I keep hearing you guys in the US mention generators. Thus is alien to me, other than deisel back up generators on an industrial scale. What does your domestic generator run on?
Do you guys have a gas supply to your houses aswell as electricity?

AnimalLady

It's something I'm going to have to look into. Although we don't have many power cuts. But better safe than sorry. I keep hearing you guys in the US mention generators. Thus is alien to me, other than deisel back up generators on an industrial scale. What does your domestic generator run on?
Do you guys have a gas supply to your houses aswell as electricity?

I'm not super educated on them, but, I know that most run off of just regular gas, you just pour it in to the generator and crank it.
There are some set ups that have generators on more of an industrial scale, where there are reservoirs with gasoline and they're hooked up so that as soon as the power is out the generator takes over. My husbands boss has his set up like that, but, he's also a millionaire with a huge gorgeous property.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I'm not super educated on them, but, I know that most run off of just regular gas, you just pour it in to the generator and crank it.
There are some set ups that have generators on more of an industrial scale, where there are reservoirs with gasoline and they're hooked up so that as soon as the power is out the generator takes over. My husbands boss has his set up like that, but, he's also a millionaire with a huge gorgeous property.
I'll be pouring the gas in then. Lol.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Ah, I'd be quite worried! I was just thinking of this stituation yesterday. Glad you have a backup!

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
A lot of people run them off of natural gas or propane here in the states as well. You can install them to have an automatic switch-over for when the power goes out, piped right in to the neighborhood fuel lines or your personal tank.

Gasoline is definitely the most popular and affordable though.

We got our gas Honda used a few years ago and just use it for the refrigerator and basic lights when power goes out. Luckily, it has never been out long enough to really be concerned about the tortoise and 55 gallon freshwater aquarium.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
A lot of people run them off of natural gas or propane here in the states as well. You can install them to have an automatic switch-over for when the power goes out, piped right in to the neighborhood fuel lines or your personal tank.

Gasoline is definitely the most popular and affordable though.

We got our gas Honda used a few years ago and just use it for the refrigerator and basic lights when power goes out. Luckily, it has never been out long enough to really be concerned about the tortoise and 55 gallon freshwater aquarium.
So you do have gas(natural) supply to your homes. Our central heating system, some cookers and some fires are run off natural gas. So if there is a power cut at least we don't freeze to death and can still cook,boil water etc. Where I live now is an electric cooker. Bad idea, all eggs in one basket. I will swap it over to gas when we get around to doing the kitchen. As for now my torts are in a room relying on CHE's etc and an 8ft rad from the central heating system.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Yes most everybody in an urban or suburban area has natural gas piped to their home. Once you get out in to the more rural areas, some places have natural gas, but a lot have large propane tanks that they run their heat, hot water tank, stoves etc off of.

I prefer gas for cooking anyways, and it is a great benefit to have for when the power is out.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Sorry this has happened , we are always talking about getting one also and will probably still be talking about it when the power goes out ! o_O

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Glad things are actually going well considering.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
My mom ran over an aluminum shed last night in the valley, sorry if it was yours! :p (She would like her license plate back).

Glad to hear your power is back! Hopefully the damage is a quick fix.
Lol. All my parts stayed in mine or the neighbors yard.