Emergency please help - power outage

Dessy

Hi everyone so the wind knocked down a powerline today and we're out of power! Dont know how long this will be but besides a generator any way i can keep my torts enclosure warm? Its really warm in chicago today but if the power company doesnt come soon, how long can my tort last in chilly weather?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
If your water heater is gas you can still run it and make hot water bottles to put in the cages. That or put out the call on Facebook that you and your tort want to visit someone and you'll bring dinner. It works for me every time. I have a sterilite ready to go, but then again I live in the sticks and we lose power often.

If I were in your shoes the first thing I would do is unplug all of the heaters and lights and wrap up the tank in comforters or sleeping bags to keep the heat in.

Dessy

Well comed should be coming soon (hopefully). The fallen powerline had started a fire in my neighbor's yard so im assuming the firefighters called after the fire was put out. If theyre not here soon i might have to relocate Leo to my boyfriend's house...i dont have many other options

Dessy

I dont have a fireplace but i think get a generator going...his temps already dropped to 77

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
If you have a gas stove / oven you could light the burners or the oven and leave the oven door open to keep the room warm ? Make sure you have some ventilation ! Best of luck !

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
When we got 3 feet of snow in my area a few weeks ago I went out and bought a generator but I also had some hot hands hand warmers. I ended up not needing either, of course.

Dessy

Hes spending the night at a friends...wish him luck guys... hes in a plastic tub with his heated hut..not much space but at least he'll be warm right. Finding a place where we can spend the night together tomorroe

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I'm sure he'll have a fun adventure and be happy to get back to his normal enclosure in a day or two. Glad you found him a warm bed for the night!

Dessy

Thanks so much it helps to hear that. I love him so much i worry about him. It's going to be strange not being woken up at 7am by him scratching at his enclosure for me to get him food haha