Pots with plants

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaketheskate

5 Year Member
Does anyone have ideas for adding plants to a tort table. I know you put pots I the substrate, but do you water them. Do they just have water that they absorb as needed? Need some complete help here.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
Plants still need water so yes, water them as required to keep them alive. Some need to dry out between watering while others can tolerate a more frequent watering schedule.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Definitely water them, but don't get mad when your tort eats them!

For visual barriers I keep a plant in a very large ceramic planter that I put smack in the middle of our tortoise table. The torts can't get at that plant, but boy does the plant try to grow over to the UV light...

jaketheskate said:
Does anyone have ideas for adding plants to a tort table. I know you put pots I the substrate, but do you water them. Do they just have water that they absorb as needed? Need some complete help here.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Yes water them. Any extra water will just go into the substrate, which is why not to use chemicals in the potting soil to grow your plants (along with not wanting your tortoise to eat the leaves, which will soak up those chemicals). Be sure any pot or tray you use has drainage holes in the bottom, for the extra water to drain away. Too much water standing in the pot will drown your plant. :( Make sure the pot can not get knocked over and hurt the tortoise, if you use a fairly heavy one. By using a pot higher then the tortoise can reach (and get into), you will have a longer living plant. Pots tortoises get into have plants stomped or eaten down to the roots (and killed). Also be careful placing pots, where a smart tortoise may use it to help climb out and escape.

Do you feed spring mix that comes in those plastic boxes? Those make great trays to use for planting seeds in for your tortoise. Keep saving them and soon you will have enough trays (at no cost) to have a steady rotation of trays which you stagger the starting of the seeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.