Ideas for plants in tortoise table?!?!=-=-=-=-=

Gooch

Hi guys, I finished my russian's tortoise table, so now it is time to add some life, color, green, plants, or whatever you want to call them. I already have Kale/Lettuce growing in one pot and 2 spider plants growing in another pot. do you guys have any ideas for different plants or how to add some life to the enclosure? Thanks!

Also, how do you keep your tortoise from eating all of them? Keep them in hanging pots?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I use 6" tall clay or pottery pots that have wide, stable bases. Ones the tortoise cannot knock over until the tortoise is pretty big. By then it's normally not indoors. I like the rectangular ones 6" x 12". Create nice breaks in the enclosure for variation, and I plant things that will drape over the sides. They can eat what they can reach and hide under the overhanging parts. Plants that grow well indoors is the key. I like spider plants as you already have. Also really like pothos ivy. That is probably the easiest plant there is to grow indoors and in lower light. It grows fast and will trail everywhere if not eaten. Or you can tie up the vines as they grow and lead them anywhere. A vine can grow over 20 feet long!

Gooch

Thanks @Markw84 I will have to try the hanging plants idea. I will see if I already have some pothos vines so I can grow them in his enclosure

Glomerulus

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Small patches of sprouts seem to be a hit with young tortoises. Oat seed is extremely cheap and makes for a nice forage. If you do not have a soil substrate you could prepare saucers with a thin layer of coir or soil to germinate sprouts on. Clover (Trifolium pratense) might also be a good choice. If you have a farm supply store nearby you might look there.

My red foot tortoise loves collard greens, they can be made to look like little trees in a terrarium if you remove the lower leaves.

If you haven't seen it already, http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/plant_database_14.asp is an invaluable resource.