Post editing

Are you also a chronic post editor?

• Yes, I'm always editing my posts.

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • No. I try to think things through before posting.

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
How often do you edit your posts?

I'm the type of person who almost ALWAYS sees something wrong with his posts immediately after they're posted. I don't know if the fingers work faster than the brain or what, but that's how it is.

I'm probably current the TFO king of post editing.

BTW, I tried to add a poll but I'm not sure how to do it. I checked the " I want to post a poll" option, but then I saw no way to post said poll. So we'll just have to do this manually.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
How often do you edit your posts?

I'm the type of person who almost ALWAYS sees something wrong with his posts immediately after they're posted. If not something wrong, something that should have been added.

Aside from the fact that I just created two of the same thread, :(, I also think the edit time should be extended and we should be able to deleted our own threads if no one has responded to them.

Most forums I frequent are like this. Sometimes you make a thread at the spur of the moment (maybe you're in an odd mood or drunk) and then think it was a bad idea. If no one has responded, why can't we have the option to delete them?

This is actually the only forum I currently visit that doesn't give this option.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I do it regularly. I have actually asked to make the time frame longer, but I was denied...

To do a poll, you click that box, then do your post, and the poll options come up after you hit post reply. At least thats how it went for me when I've done it.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Uh oh, I actually figured out the poll thing before I thought I submitted this so now I have two of the same thread here.

Can a mod delete this thread?

But anyhoo, I also think the edit time frame should be longer.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Okay, I merged your two threads together for you.

I edit my posts all the time, especially lately with my laptop missing certain letters (a new one each day :D ). For me, the biggest reason to not extend the allowing each member to have a longer time to edit their posts, is some on here would be editing them after others reply to them. This could be done to make others look "stupid", start fights, act like the first poster never said what he/she is charged with, ect.., not just the simple spelling errors you think people would be changing. Plus if your time limit is up, but you wish to change something, just ask one of the friendly Mods to do so.... of course you have to find a "friendly" one. :p :D

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
This is something I always do. I have a very busy mind and I often start typing a response before my brain can catch up and focus...which leads to a lot of mistakes and the need to correct.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I try to read my posts before I hit the "send" key. This way I catch mis-spelled words or dumb things I may have said.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Jacqui said:
Okay, I merged your two threads together for you.

I edit my posts all the time, especially lately with my laptop missing certain letters (a new one each day :D ). For me, the biggest reason to not extend the allowing each member to have a longer time to edit their posts, is some on here would be editing them after others reply to them. This could be done to make others look "stupid", start fights, act like the first poster never said what he/she is charged with, ect.., not just the simple spelling errors you think people would be changing. Plus if your time limit is up, but you wish to change something, just ask one of the friendly Mods to do so.... of course you have to find a "friendly" one. :p :D

I completely understand your reasoning. But I still think the editing time should be extended.

How many times have we made posts and then later realize we made a mistake?

I really think we should be able to edit or delete any post for an indefinite time as long as no one else has posted. Again, every other forum I frequent is like this. It should be a courtesy to TFO members. If no one has responded, we should have the option to edit or delete any post/thread we make. Whether it's 1/2 hour or 48 hours.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tortus said:
I completely understand your reasoning. But I still think the editing time should be extended.

How many times have we made posts and then later realize we made a mistake?

I really think we should be able to edit or delete any post for an indefinite time as long as no one else has posted. Again, every other forum I frequent is like this. It should be a courtesy to TFO members. If no one has responded, we should have the option to edit or delete any post/thread we make. Whether it's 1/2 hour or 48 hours.

I belong to one forum that has the no limit thing to posts. We often have issues with folks changing and rechanging posts. It adds a lot of confusion and problems. In away, you already have the ability to change whenever you want to, it's just you can't do it for yourself. Most of my better forums, have a time limit to them.

As for your " If no one has responded" how do you know that for sure? You may have a member currently responding. I know many times, while I am writing a post, somebody will jump in ahead of me with a post. Actually happens quite often to me. Then you also could have a brand new member who may have responded, but his post is waiting for a Mod to approve. (first five posts are only shown to the public once Mod approved) You would not be able to see his response until that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.