Possibly ill horsefield

Status
Not open for further replies.

guffie83

5 Year Member
Hi all,

I bought a horsefield tortoise last week. I was told it was aged somewhere between 6 months and 2 years. It has a combined uv/ heat bulb giving a hot spot temp of 27-30 cooling to about 22 at the opposite end of the tank. He has a sandy substrate and I feed him a mix of dandelions, lettuce, kale a touch of carrot and some tortoise diet pellets with a sprinkle of cricket dust.

Since I've only had him a week I've only soaked him 3 times for around 10 - 15 mins each time.

The reason I think he might be ill is I haven't seen a poo yet although he seems to eat well and visits the water dish I know this because after he's been in it there is some of the substrate in the dish which I re fresh twice a day.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi guffie83:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I think we sometimes tend to over-think our tortoise problems. If your tortoise has a healthy appetite, and is bright-eyed and moving at a good clip around the habitat, you probably have nothing to worry about. However, little Russian tortoises have some pretty awesome poops. And if you haven't seen any, it IS something to watch.

Put him into a small bowl with tall sides that he can't climb out of, add warm water, and just leave him in there. When he gets tired of it he's going to start to scrabble around, and when he does, chances are pretty good his bowels will let loose...and I do mean LOOSE.

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D and we LOVE PICS :p

I would recommend against sand as your substrate....it can create eye irritation and increase the risk of intestinal impaction....sand does not move through their system the same as a soil type substrate.....just thought I needed to share that....some folks mix soil with same but to run straight sand is too dangerous....in my humble opinion that is....:D

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
guffie83 said:
Hi all,

I bought a horsefield tortoise last week. I was told it was aged somewhere between 6 months and 2 years. It has a combined uv/ heat bulb giving a hot spot temp of 27-30 cooling to about 22 at the opposite end of the tank. He has a sandy substrate and I feed him a mix of dandelions, lettuce, kale a touch of carrot and some tortoise diet pellets with a sprinkle of cricket dust.

Since I've only had him a week I've only soaked him 3 times for around 10 - 15 mins each time.

The reason I think he might be ill is I haven't seen a poo yet although he seems to eat well and visits the water dish I know this because after he's been in it there is some of the substrate in the dish which I re fresh twice a day.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong???

Your basking spot is probably not hot enough. You want more like 35*C for basking, and ambient temperatures around 22*C. Without sufficiently high temperatures, digestion is impaired. Perhaps if you raise the basking spot temperature a bit, you will see some stools.

guffie83

5 Year Member
image-1494762719.png

This is Shelly's tank. I bathed him today for about 45mins saw him pass urine but still no poo. I'll build up the area at the lamp tomorrow to raise the temp at the basking spot hopefully this will help.

Thanks everyone.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum, would also like to see some pics..

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
what is cricket dust? and yes.. change the sand to something else.. even soil is better.
if he is eating.. i wouldnt worry to much...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
what is cricket dust?

Sometimes calcium powder is referred to as cricket dust, you shake your crickets in a bag with the powder to coat them

or

Sometimes it is a mineral, vitamin and calcium dust that you utilize the same as mentioned above

:D

guffie83

5 Year Member
Can't seem to get the photo's to work. They upload ok but then don't display.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Are you using the forum to add the pics....if so when you upload the pic you then have to hit the add attachment tab to the right of the choose file tab then hit post...:D

guffie83

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for your help, Shelly had a poo today after a long soak and I raised the temp at the basking spot a bit. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.