Possibly adopting this RF, opinions please

CharlieD

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
I was offered this redfoot from a friend of a coworker who got it for their daughter who is not holding up 'her end of the deal' care-wise.

The current owners got it at a reptile show less than a year ago, so their estimation about age is a year old. They claim to have been using a UVB bulb. They say that it is active, and seems the diet is mostly 'lettuce'.

Obviously husbandry and pyramiding are a problem, but I would hope the right conditions and diet can get things back on track. Is there anything serious that the pictures can show that I should consider? Or is there anything that I should look for or ask?

I would also like some ideas about a good temporary habitat for the week or two it will take me to build a proper sized closed chamber for this tort. Would that tank closed, with some proper substrate and temp/humidity be ok for that period?

I'll also add that anyone who may be interested in adopting this tort should feel welcome to, Im still weighing it out for myself and would not care; it just needs a better home. It is located in the Chicago suburbs and I could probably house it temporarily as well.

unnamed1.jpgunnamed2.jpgunnamed.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
Tubs are cheap and make decent habitats for tortoises that size. The pyramiding doesn't look that bad. But he definitely needs some humidity and proper housing.