deformed RF

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
This is a sad story with a happy ending.
This is Booboo, a RF that lived for 17 years with bad husbandry and diet. He was rescued and is now loved and owned by Christy, who gave me permission to post his picture. He still can't use his back legs and not too much of his front ones, but he gets around in his enclosure and eats everything she gives him. She said he's so friendly and loveable, and is now the love of her life.

post-18118-128269385715.jpg

Here you can see how much better he looks from having a proper diet and enclosure.
post-18118-058735100201302400438.jpg

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
These are the pictures that need to be shown to people before they take on a new pet that they think they want. Thank goodness for Christy and those of you like her who take tortoises out of bad situations and try to make them better.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Glad to know he will live out his life in much better conditions. So sad, but glad he is out of that horrible prior life. Thanks for sharing Terry!

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
This Truley hurts me to see :( But im glad that he is doing better.
they should have to post examples like this at pet stores so the newcomes getting conned into a 20 gallon and a sulcatta will have no excuse to do something like this....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
17 years and he's still alive! OMG!! Even his front feet are deformed. Poor Boo Boo, but on the other hand, Lucky Boo Boo! Is that our Christy (torty lover)?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
We used to see a lot of turtles and tortoises that looked like that back in the 70s and 80s when the 'lettuce and hamburger' diet was popular. It is sad to see it still goes on when people can find good information so much more easily now.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
What I can't understand is don't people recognize that something is wrong with him, before it gets that far? I mean a little pyramiding fine, but after awhile won't the person say after awhile. "that does not look right" even if you are totally clueless you have to realize that that is not normal.

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
You think in this day and time, the past owner would notice something is wrong and try to find help. This is horrible. I guess, the best thing the pass owner did for the RF was give it away, to a WAY better owner.

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
dmmj said:
What I can't understand is don't people recognize that something is wrong with him, before it gets that far? I mean a little pyramiding fine, but after awhile won't the person say after awhile. "that does not look right" even if you are totally clueless you have to realize that that is not normal.

Definitely one of my first thoughts too. Everyone has a pretty stereotypical idea of the roundish shape and behavior (uses all legs and can suck itself into the shell) a tortoise should have and it's never ever something like this poor guy. 17 years of looking at something that resembles nothing else you've ever seen before the light goes on? Or in most cases 17 years before someone with a little knowledge and compassion happens to drop by for tea and sees him.

I'm so glad he's found a new home and is thriving though. Sounds like a lovely little booger to have around. :D

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Poor little guy, happy he is with someone that will take care of him..

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
I can't believe someone let that baby get that far... It is such a sad story with a happy ending.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Poor little one, some people make me soo mad!!! I am so glad BooBoo is now with your friend! Thanks for sharing the story with us, I love happy endings :)

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto
Thats just horrific.

Can the previous owner be held accountable in whatever state they are in? They should be.

Shameful.

Dutch

5 Year Member
Virginia
Only humans are capable to do such cruelty to helpless, innocent animals! What a shame...

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
This is really horrible...

I've "rescued" a couple with what I thought was bad pyramiding myself, but this is one of the worst RF's I've seen !

I simply cannot understand that people can let it go this far ?

Status
Not open for further replies.