Possible RI

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Well I watched your video and it’s hard to tell what is going on. I do not see anything that makes me certain this tortoise is sick. However, a RI will cause labored breathing which will mean exaggerated motion (head will move in and out further than normal). This seems to be your concern?

In short I don’t see an obvious reason to panic especially if your tortoise is active, eating, and gaining weight. If a respiratory infection is just due to cold temps and not anything else, it can usually be cured quickly by keeping the tortoise warm and humid. In some cases respiratory symptoms are secondary to something worse, in which case you’d need vet attention (but for sure find someone better than your first attempt).

Here in the US some successful hingeback keepers use very high humidity levels (90% or more) and less temperature gradients - the whole enclosure should be at least 25C at night. During the day a range from 30C at the cool end to 35C at the warm end is reasonable.

TheLastGreen

Location (City and/or State)
Johannesburg
Thanks @turtlesteve for the advice. Most advice I used came from the kinixys blueprint, but it's a bit old. I'm keeping my night temps now 30C. I'll drive up the humidity to the max. I've contacted the KWG and Jeremy Thompson for help on the further set up, hopefuly they respond soon.
I've soaked my tort for 9 hours today, he was kept in his enclosure, in his ceramic tray, the tray tilted slightly so most water was by his behind, he had some mushrooms close by on a dry piece of the tray. I can say however that even after the ordeal from yesterday he is ok. I'm keeping my eye on him

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have never had a RI, so can't help on this.
Also I must add that if anyone can remember a few months ago I had a little hingeback which was off coloured and had a RI, she stuck his neck out etc, but after loads of effort she passed.
What's weird to me is that they just don't have mucus coming out of their nose like in other RI, perhaps this is just a hingeback thing? @Jacqui have you seen this in your hingebacks?

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Well I have good news! Thanks to all of you guys help it seems the RI is leaving. After the one and only baytril shot, he is eating again. He ate a large portion of earthworms today.
@jeff kushner it reminded me of Matilda when he ate20220306_073237.jpg
I'll keep the temps up for the following two weeks
(Thanks again to everyone that helped, no matter in what way. This is why I chose this forum, so that I can sleep good knowing my tort is healthy)