Weird noise while breathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Since this morning,
Hermy is not doing too good. He is very scared of me and he is not very hungry. He ate almost all his food but he looked really scared. I had to leave his room for him to eat, usually, he eats like a piglet not matter who is in his room. He walks weird and did not bask. He ate and stayed in his hide :(. I went to check on him 2 min ago and I heard a noise when he was breathing, a kind of whistle. I checked his nostrils and they are very clear. The vet is closed this weekend but I will call on monday for an appointment. Does anybody have any ideas of what could be the problem?

The temps in his house are:

Cold side: 23-24C
Warm side: 28-30C
under the spot: 33-34
During the night: 23-24C

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Your temperatures are fine Isa. Not sure whats going on, but it could be a lower respiratory infection. I've had 2 this winter. No runny noses, but they both sounded like they had a bad smokers cough (kind of like a hacking sound). I'm glad to say they are both doing fine after a course of Baytril.
Hopefully you'll find out more at the vets Monday.

Danny

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
egyptiandan said:
Your temperatures are fine Isa. Not sure whats going on, but it could be a lower respiratory infection. I've had 2 this winter. No runny noses, but they both sounded like they had a bad smokers cough (kind of like a hacking sound). I'm glad to say they are both doing fine after a course of Baytril.
Hopefully you'll find out more at the vets Monday.

Danny

Thanks Danny
The problem is Hermy is having diarhea again once a day (today twice) So I hope he does not have parasites (The vet did an analyse on a poo sample 1 or2 months ago and it was negative).
I will increase the temps until hermy sees the vet.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Isa good luck to Hermy. Please keep us updated on his progress. So sorry to hear he is ill.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Crazy1 said:
Isa good luck to Hermy. Please keep us updated on his progress. So sorry to hear he is ill.

Thanks Robyn
I called the vet this morning and we have an appoitment on wednesday. The vet will make a complete check up (X-ray, throat culture and poo analyse). I hope he will be able to give me some good answer.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
tortoisenerd said:
Best wishes; hope the appointment gives you a diagnosis.

Thanks kate :)
Hermy was not doing the weird noise this morning, but I still will bring him tomorrow, just to be sure he is ok.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I just came back from the vet with Hermy, it was the first time I was seeing her and my fiance and I liked her.
She took a look at some test results (the ones that was took at the old vet clinic) and she confirmed what the other vet said, Hermy has a Kidney problem :(. She told me to spray her food with calcium once a week instead of twice.
She gave me a list of food that do nott contain a lot of calcium.
-Lettuce
-Endives
-Carrot
-Zuccini
-Pumpkin
-squash
-colliflower
-peperbells
-bruxel sprout
-celery

Any comment on the list would be appreciated :)

I told her Hermy was having very soft poo since he took the antibiotic in November.
She made a poo analyse and she found nothing :)
She thinks Hermy gut flora is unbalanced and that all the good bacteria are gone. She put Hermy on antibiotic (5 days on metronidazole) and 19 days of benebac.
She told me that if in 19 days Hermy still does have soft poo or diarrhea, I will have to give him shots of antibiotic for 10days (I hate shots :(, it will hurt Hermy).

I told her about the sound I was hearing when Hermy was breathing, and she did a x-ray and Hermy's lungs were clear. She did not want to make a throat culture because the x-ray was very good.

I told her everytime Hermy urinates or poo, his penis always comes out, she told me it was not normal, it was a sign that Hermy is forcing too much.

I am not sure if the news are good or not.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
No califlower, brussel sprouts or celery. Everything else is fine.

It is quite possible that Hermy's gut flora is off, so the benebac should help.

I'm going to have to disagree about sticking out his penis though. That is perfectly fine and natural. A tortoise can't push his penis out, he has to fill it with blood to get it out. He's young and just checking out the equipment. :D

Danny

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
egyptiandan said:
No califlower, brussel sprouts or celery. Everything else is fine.

It is quite possible that Hermy's gut flora is off, so the benebac should help.

I'm going to have to disagree about sticking out his penis though. That is perfectly fine and natural. A tortoise can't push his penis out, he has to fill it with blood to get it out. He's young and just checking out the equipment. :D

Danny

Thanks Danny
But is it normal that almost all the time I see him poo or urinate he stick his penis out?

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
egyptiandan said:
Yup it is :D

Danny

Thanks Danny
I thought it was not normal doing that while he does his number 1 and 2 :D.
Thank god I know this forum! Is it possible that I can't find one reptile vet who knows everything about tortoises.

nrfitchett4

5 Year Member
What kind of substrate do you use? The straining could be a partial blockage, where liquid can still get around, but more solid stuff is blocked.
good luck. Seems like you found a very good tort vet!!!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
nrfitchett4 said:
What kind of substrate do you use? The straining could be a partial blockage, where liquid can still get around, but more solid stuff is blocked.
good luck. Seems like you found a very good tort vet!!!

Hermy lives on reptile carpets and on aspen. It is not a blockage because the vet did an X-ray and everything looked normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.