Possible abcess?

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtle crazy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NM
I Have a red foot tortoise. Ill try to be brief. Inoticed 1 1/2 years ago approxamately, a sore by the ear. It appeared to be a small bite mark from another smaller redfoot. It healed in a few days. I never saw them fight just assumed. About 8 monthes ago the same thing in a new larger enclosure, again no visible biting. It was same side of head. Still I didnt think too much just clened it up, kept an eye on it and it healed in a few days. Now today, I noticed it for a third time. I feel its too much to be a coincidence. I have recomended temps in enclosure, automatic mister with good humidity, and humid hide boxes. Iam following Turtltary guidelines with food and protein also. I have never seen any of my torts bite each other. I remembered years ago having a 3toed box turtle with a large shooter marble sized abcess. Iwondered if this could be the start of one. Do you think I should take him to a vet? I know that antibiotics alone usually dont work. How long does it take for an abcess to ripen for removal? And lastly the tortoise is eating and acting normally. Thank You for the help.

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
sorry i can't really offer much help!
but good luck with you little guy.
it doesn't seem like it could be a coincidence to me either.
where is it located? and could you post pictures?
when they're active and eating it's usually a sign they aren't in to much danger.
Hopefully some expert will come and rescue you!

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Hi, it sounds like your tortoise may have the start of an inner ear abscess. They are usually pretty benign in the sense that they normally don't cause any harm to your tortoise. They are also the result of vitamin deficiency, or temperature. I work for a veterinarian, so when one of my box turtles forms an ear abscess I just take it there and do it myself.

It really varies on how fast they form and get to the point to where they're ripe enough to cut out. I usually let mine get pretty big before removing it to ensure I get everything out.

I had one case last year where one of my box turtles had the start of an ear abscess right before hibernating. I didn't mess with it before he went down. When he woke up in the spring it was pretty much the same size. After a couple of weeks awake I took him to work and cut it out.

Others have had ear abscesses big enough to take out in just a few weeks. They usually do just fine afterward, are doing their normal things the same day. Pictures would really help us to know if it's an ear abscess or not.

-Matt

turtle crazy

5 Year Member
NM
I dont know how to send pictures. Its just a small sore on side of head by corner of jaw and in between that and tympanic .

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
I see. In that case I would just make sure to keep it clean. You can use some triple antibiotic ointment once a day, or clean it with some betadine solution. Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get worse.

-Matt

turtle crazy

5 Year Member
NM
matt41gb said:
I see. In that case I would just make sure to keep it clean. You can use some triple antibiotic ointment once a day, or clean it with some betadine solution. Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get worse.

-Matt

Took tortoise to vet yesterday. Its an infected lymph node. He gave me antibiotics to inject. Says its no big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.