Eye Abcess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badger

5 Year Member
Hi Everyone,

Hope everyone is well and that everyone is ok settling down for winter (for those lucky ones with tropical climate all year round, so happy for you!).

I apologize in advance, I only seem to post when there is an issue... sorry about that!

Was getting settled for the winter about 2 weeks ago and happen to notice an abcess with Shelly's eyes. Initially it was greyish in color and didnt really seem to bother her too much. Appetite and activity was normal.

We took her to the vet last week, not really sure what it was. We got some antibiotic eye drop and was applying 3 times a day. Initially, the swelling we thought was reducing, but it is kinda turning pink now. Again, she doesnt seem to scratch it or anything but I am sure it is annoying!

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Shelly is about 7.5lbs and 20 months old.

Husbandry conditions are that they are living in a shed during the night. The have a couple of cages (the portable cat and dog carriers) to huddle in at night. Its lined with newspaper, a plastic mat with small hollow squares as the bottom (to provide an air pocket off the ground for warmth and pee to pass through to the bottom of the cage without keeping them wet), more newspaper on top and then a nice comfy layer of hay on top for them to sleep on and burrow. The shed is generally about 70 to 75F with a basket spot of 90 to 95F (MVB). At night, the will have they ceramic heating on top for body temperature of 70 to 75F. The whole thing is pretty well insulated.

If it is above 70F and sunny, we let them outside. They have a pen for grazing naturally grown weeds/greens/grass etc. Also another area which is just concrete where the photo is taken, where they roam around and bask. Their diet is varied, leafy greens, hisbicus, sweet potato leaves, timonthy hay, dried flowers, mazuri, grass land etc. Supplemented with calcium daily and multi vitamin once a week. Oh, warm soaks every day.

Oh, I live in Hong Kong. The weather is subtropical. We have humidity that is 70%+ pretty much all year around. Winter is quite mild, winter average is around 60F, occasional "freak" weather would be like 40F for a couple days in the year. Last weekend, in the middle of December was a nice balmy 75 to 80F.

It would be great if someone could give us a few pointers about what we are dealing with. We scheduled another appointment with the vet this weekend, would be great if she got better before that!

Thanks!!

Attachments

• 20121216_162712.jpg
    20121216_162712.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 121
  • 20121216_162717.jpg
    20121216_162717.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 75

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
hello,

my first thought was cherry eye! lol, not sure if tortoises actually get that like dogs do.

second thought was that newspaper substrate too dry and dusty and causing irritation, but not sure if that would cause something like that, rather than just the eyes in general being irritated.

follow up with vet is in order I guess.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
No, cherry eye, or inflamed nictitating membrane, swells from the inside corner of the eye.

Send your pictures to our veterinarian member, exoticsdr, and ask for his opinion.

Badger

5 Year Member
I have sent my vet the photos today... hopefully will get an answer. Will try to send exoticdr a message as well. Thanks for the suggestion!

I am not so sure about the newspaper. The ambient humidity is around 60%. They dont really sleep on top of the newspaper but rather in the hay. The newspaper is really for insulation off the cold floor. Maybe a piece of hay poked her in the eye? Maybe i will have to change to a less hoarse type of hay!!

Badger

5 Year Member
Thank you for your kind support. Will definitely keep you posted!

Yellow Turtle said:
I hope her to get well soon. Please keep the update.

Badger

5 Year Member
Hi Everyone!

Merry Christmas! Wish you all a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Glad to report that Shelly's eyes got better, her abcess has shrunk and is no longer pink! No need for surgery anymore!

Yay!!

Status
Not open for further replies.