Poor Pio

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
We had a terrible storm here yesterday, and lost all our power...no phone, no Internet, and no heat. By night time I had about 10 flame-less candles all over the house, my dogs had their little coats on, the boxies had dug way under their substrate, I had on p.j.'s, a robe and a hoodie, but poor Pio had no heat and was hiding under all the moss he could find. The house had gone down to 56 degrees, and I was in a panic. I wrapped him in a little hand towel, and put him in my shirt. After a few minutes, he settled down, and we went to bed like that. I didn't know what else to do. This A.M. at around 11:30 the power finally came on, and after Pio's enclosure warmed up, I put him back in. So.....Pio spent the night where no man has been for a long time....I hope he enjoyed himself....I didn't sleep a wink for fear of crushing him.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Oh gosh that's like my worst nightmare. I'm glad your power came back on today!

terryo said:
So.....Pio spent the night where no man has been for a long time....I hope he enjoyed himself....

haha :D

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Oh poor Terry and Pio. I'm so glad you got your power on it does seem like it took a while though. I had to laugh about the "Where no mans been in a while" comment that was priceless. :D I think it was a great idea that you put him next to you like that to warm him up. I don't know if I would have thought about that our not? So that was very smart of you. Pio is loved. :)[/u]

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
* Buy A Generator* ... Sams CLub ect...they are cheap and well worth it if you loose power for any length of time! Hope everything works out for Mr Pio and you~ =:>)
time to cuddle~

M

Maggie Cummings

You can put hot water in a jar and then put tort and hot water bottle in a small container. I have had to do that several times. Lucky for me I have gas heat so I can continue to make hot water jars to keep my animals warm. One night I went to bed with 6 babies under my blankets...that's what made me think about the hot water...

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I was just think about something like this and what I would do. I wanna stock up on those heat packs that people use for shipping.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Oo Meg that's a great idea! I'll have to get some too. I also have leopard geckos that I would need to keep warm.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I thought I read on this forum that wrapped hand- or toe-warmers could be used in the event of a power outage, so now we have a big box of those handy...I have thought about doing what Terryo did, just like you'd keep a baby warm...and Pio is Terry's baby, and I'll bet he was very warm and comfortable next to her heart. ;)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Meg..where do you get those heat packs that they ship with? Do some of them last for a few hours?

Ah...Stephanie....my kids are still talking about me, and most likely telling all their friends about their nutty mother.... Two Chihuahua's in little coats, a tiny Yorkie with her little coat, and Pio and me...all under the covers.....warm and toasty. Trees are down here everywhere. The winds were 68 mph with gusts up to 90 mph. We never had anything like this here. What a mess the streets are now. There are lots of roads that are closed because of fallen trees. I never saw anything like this all they years I'm here.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Most of the ones you get now, are 40hr ones. You can buy them from shipyourreptiles.com :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Meg...thanks ..that's a great site and I'm ordering them today.

TortieGal (what's your name, by the way) no poop..that's why I put him in the little hand towel. Ne never moved all night.

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
That's good! I had to do that with a snake I had when we lived in Ohio. We would get some pretty cold winters and the electric went out for quite awhile so I just put him on my belly to keep him warm. It works great.
My name is Sue.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
We had a 2 day power outage back the first of December. I boxed my torts up and took them to my father-in-law,s, but he would have nothing to do with the snake so he slept in my shirt, lol. Sadly, I lost a LOT of fish. It was awful. The only fish that survived were my coldwater fish (my giant goldies, thank goodness) and my natives in my BW tank. Going around, scooping all those bodies.... I went from 27 tanks full of fish to 12 in 48 hours.

Power outages are always scary.

Kristina

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Must have been a cute picture. :D I have gotten so I stock up on boxes of the warmers from WalMart and have a few propane heaters around if I need them. I keep thinking about the generator, but I am just not to that stage yet.

I really feel for the people who live in all electric homes, at least here we also have our propane so the oven can run.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Aw, poor Pio. I'm glad he made it through the night with no issues!

I had to do the same thing with a snake in December '07. Go figure, one week after I got my first snake, we had the worst storm in our area for... what... 40 years or so, I think. Winds got up to 120 MPH and the power was out at my house for about 4 days. Yeah.. Not fun. We haven't had a power outage since, but I now keep a nice big stash of hand warmers in the reptile room "just in case."

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
terryo said:
Hey Sue....I'm so glad I'm not the only one doing this.

Your not alone Terry! the things we do for our pets, but they're worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.