does redfood need company?

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Does a Tortoise need company? Are they basically loners? This is my first tortoise, so I really only know what research I have read. Most, say they don't. My Cherry Head has been living with a Three Toed for a few months now. They both needed the same care...humidity, heat, etc. They both would be hiding on the forest floor in the wild. From everything that I have read they both need the same requirements, so I put them together (for a while anyway) Pio (cherry head) follows Izzy (three toed) around. Where ever Izzy sleeps, Pio sleeps. If Izzy goes on the cool side, Pio follows. Because of all the good food that Pio gets, Izzy has started to eat fruits and greens now instead of just live food. I used to feed them on separate sides of the viv., but now Izzy will go over to eat with Pio. Does anyone have any thoughts on this. When the Summer comes, Pio will go outside in his new pen, and I will probably keep Izzy inside as I think she is still too small.

052.jpg

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Yes, they need lots of friends and you can get them from Turtletary who has some beautiful, healthy and full of life.

Actually, they can be by themselves but I have 8 of them and they do seem to interact a lot.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Haha, I wish. I was just trying t be funny and help out the guru at the same time.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
jenrell23 said:
How big is your little three toed??

He (she) is about 5 months now. I think she is definitely the boss of the group. The only time she follows Pio is when he gets his food, otherwise ....she leads the way. They are very comical to watch together.

049.jpg

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
36_12_1.gif

What a dilemma! How do I reply???

Everybody.. Terryo.. NEVER MIX SPECIES [ or sub-species ].

Chucky I appreciate what you've said.. buddies are good.. but ONLY redfoot tortoises!

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I've read here several times not to mix species. The reasons are because of diseases correct? If both torts are healthy, where is the problem? I'm asking out of real curiousity. Do torts never live together in the wild?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I don't get it. They were both hatchlings...neither was sick. As hatchlings, wouldn't they be hiding on the forest floor? Under leaves or logs or dug under? They both need high humidity. They have been together for months now and Pio follows her around like a puppy. Terry, you have to give me a good reason...please. The Three Toed now is eating greens because of Pio. If she was alone she wouldn't be up to that yet. Just give me a good reason. I won't mention names, (for some reason you two don't get along in your way of raising RF's), but by his comment on another forum, he seemed to think it was OK. I really want to learn....so give me some good reasons why not.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
terryo said:
I don't get it. They were both hatchlings...neither was sick. As hatchlings, wouldn't they be hiding on the forest floor? Under leaves or logs or dug under? They both need high humidity. They have been together for months now and Pio follows her around like a puppy. Terry, you have to give me a good reason...please. The Three Toed now is eating greens because of Pio. If she was alone she wouldn't be up to that yet. Just give me a good reason. I won't mention names, (for some reason you two don't get along in your way of raising RF's), but by his comment on another forum, he seemed to think it was OK. I really want to learn....so give me some good reasons why not.

All species have their "own" kind of 'bugs' that is common with their NATIVE habitat. "Most" tortoises/turtles CAN NOT tolerate the "different" bugs. You have a North American and South American species together.

If you went to South America.. or any other country outside of the continental U. S. would you expect to be inoculated before you left? Why? Same with tortoises and turtles. Why do you have to quarantine even the SAME SPECIES before introducing to each other? Cross-contamination maybe?!

And who could possibly think it's O.K. to mix species? Ask anyone who knows.

I have no idea who you mean when you say.. (for some reason you two don't get along in your way of raising RF's) . You and several others raise their redfoots by "my" caresheet/guidelines.. with great results - so why would you consider anything else?

And I doubt they teach each other how or what to eat.

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
wow getting heated.

But if I was a north american who had lived in south america for years just like both of these species whose bloodlines are from separate continents but were probably both born and raise in the same place...it would be ok right?

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
lets not elevate this beyond friendly discussion.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Terry this may work for you but as a general you should not mix species. If we have some knowledge and success in husbandry we should try to set an example of proper care. If a new keeper sees this and then tries to duplicate you and then loses one or both species to some bugs passed between, who is to blame? Not everyone has access to animals from known and trusted sources.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I agree, never mix species, it's not worth the risk! As TurtleTerry explained, they naturally carry their own bugs that are safe for them, but could be fatal to other types of tortoises!

As for RF's and company... mine have been fine alone, but once I put them together, I think t hey REALLY enjoy that! I only think this because they follow each other out in a line to the food bowl every day! Also I have one that is another's shadow - she follows the big girl around like a lost puppy, it's rather funny!

I agree, get another RF for yours!!! :)

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
janiedough said:
wow getting heated.

But if I was a north american who had lived in south america for years just like both of these species whose bloodlines are from separate continents but were probably both born and raise in the same place...it would be ok right?

NO.. not heated!

Absolutely not.. O.K.! Accept the facts...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Looking beyond the disease problems, what happens in a very short time when the Redfoot grows considerably larger than the Box? Most likely the Box will be stressed and bullied by what is now his "friend". Yes this two have already been together and most certainly could even live the rest of their lives together comfortably.

The question also comes up in my mind, are you wanting to breed these guys down the line? Meaning are you planning on getting another RF or/and another Boxie? If so, do you realize you could be causing future harm to those breeding plans with the added threat of the possible cross contamination already caused? These two may (so far) not show any adverse problems from sharing a home, but what if you spend the money and get a new RF for instance. Add her in with your current RF. She becomes sick because she can't handle something that perhaps the Boxie had brought into the situation. Then it could get things stirred up enough that the first two could suddenly not be able to handle what at this point seems a passive disease/germ and they could die. Bad scenario isn't it, unfortunately not entirely outside the realm of possible futures.

You never really fully know what all your animals have been exposed to before you get them. You rely on others to take the same careful precautions you do. Isn't it just smarter to do everything you can to minimize future risks?

I know it's nice to be able to give them both companionship. It's nice to be able to have only one setup for both of them, especially since their needs are so close to being the same. Unfortunately it's not optimal to do so. They are your animals and in the end only you can decide what to do with them. They could have no adverse problems from living together and others have done so with no troubles. By both being CB hatchlings, the chances of problems are even more reduced. It's just something you need to think about and then follow your own heart on.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
terryo said:

Even if they are captive bred and hatchlings, all bodies have micro-organisms inside of them. Over the ages, each specie has developed a tolerance to the kinds of micro-organisms it comes across and they live just fine with them. But if you put another turtle/tortoise with one from a different continent, and they come in contact with those "other" micro-organisms, your turtle or tortoise could become sick and even die. The problem is, it won't happen today or tomorrow. It will take so long to happen that you won't associate the sickness with the fact that the turtle has been living with the tortoise for the past few years.

Yvonne

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Thank you Jacq. & Yvon. - I get tired of saying what you said.
It becomes very trying.. as I'm occasionally thought to be "heated" by it all ------ nah!..... much too old for that!!! In order of caring or being concerned..... the tortoise's comes first! [ in most cases ] That's the only reason I'm here.

So I'll say this:

[ IF ] Ignorance is not knowing.. stupidity is defending it.

Some keepers choose to be educated.. some choose to be stupid. And it's obvious which is which.

The tortoises don't have that choice.

Thanks again ladies!

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Chucky, I know you where just joking. I was too.

I was waitng for you to reply to this thread Terry. Its like ok lets watch and learn. I like to leave the teaching to the old folks 8' ).

Status
Not open for further replies.