pooping scare!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

snoit83

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I have a 12 week old sulcata hatchling. The past two days when I went to soak her she had a orangey pinking thing hanging from her butt. Its hard but when I soak her it comes off with easy... she is eating regual how ever I haven't seen her poop. I've seen poop on her butt. Can anyone help me? I've called all the vets and saved the peices but no one seems to know. Has anyone heard or experienced this?

snoit83

5 Year Member
Florida
We grew a sulcata grass from seeds.... they get get soaked and graze once a day.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
it sounds like you may need a bit more varied diet or amount..
Mine graze all day. Not just once.
Think of Shelled Cows. thats what they are.. they need to graze, eat, sleep, walk a lot, graze while walking,, walk some more, graze, hang out, rest, graze, etc...

snoit83

5 Year Member
Florida
My phone won't let me upload picture.

Their habitat is 6'x5' and its paper organic soil coconut husk (the dirt stuff? Then a layer of timothy hay and orchard grass. We always cut grass and bring it in incase they are still hungry.

Is she gonna be ok? I bought some spring mix today. So she just needs to eat more? She gets 8-10 different varieties of grass and hay... all of which I have researched and made sure they were supposed to be part of a sulcatas diet... im scared and the vets are clueless!!!

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
try to post a pic next time it happens. It's hard for me to determine what you're talking about :/ Just keep up the varied diet and soaks!

snoit83

5 Year Member
Florida
Im trying..
The pics aren't very good cause its so small.... I saved them so I can take them.to the vet w me.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
babies dont eat hay.
Have you ever seen them eat it?

most dont touch it till they are about 5 years old, if at all.
Cactus should be fed as well.
What kind of calcium are they getting?
Spring mix is a great thing to feed. try it and see how they do.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Laura said:
babies dont eat hay.
Have you ever seen them eat it?

most dont touch it till they are about 5 years old, if at all.
Cactus should be fed as well.
What kind of calcium are they getting?
Spring mix is a great thing to feed. try it and see how they do.

Most babies dont eat hay two of my leo's do they are less than a year I soak it for a few minute's cut it and serve up they love it :)

M

Maggie Cummings

She has an orangey pinking thing that is hard that comes off and you can hold it? It sounds like it might be a form of poop that is pink because of what you are feeding. A 12 week old Sulcata should eat a lot more then just hay. You need to adjust the diet and then the poop will turn black...At least I think that an orangy pinking thingie might be coming from a butt would be poop. Is it connected to the tort?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Piper:

I was thinking along the lines of urates. Since tortoises hold onto their water (and don't pee frequently), it sometimes turns hard and rocky. It is also colored according to what they've been eating, but is usually creamy off-white. It should be the consistency of heavy cream or cottage cheese, but if the tortoise is dehydrated it might get hard like rocks.

We can't know for sure without seeing it, but that's my best guess...urates, normal. (except they're hard, indicating dehydration)

snoit83

5 Year Member
Florida
It is hard and connected to her anus then.when.I soak her it comes off. I saved the.two pieces from today and day before yesterday... I've never seen them.eat the hay but the grasses we planted they love!! I have two, and herman seems.fine. I thought maybe she.was eating the.coconut husk. So I should feed spring.mix everyday and let them.graze outside?

I soak them everyday and they have a small water dish in.their habitat. They always seem.to drink a lot when I soak them. Im just so worried about her!! She's so small no one would or could operate even if they could figure it out.... ok I will feed spring mix along w letting them graze.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The little ones sometimes have a problem with things sticking to their butt. I have to watch my baby Texans because the poop builds up there. I think its because they're so small and can't get up high to let it drop off, so it dries on. I really do think its urates, and really nothing to worry about. But being able to see a picture would clinch it for me.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
My thoughts , it passed and could be just a one time thing. I purchased Hommer from a Zoo many years ago and he pooped plastic bags, etc. for over a week. Worried me, however it all passed and then he started passing good solid grass, etc.

snoit83

5 Year Member
Florida
I have been trying to.upload a picture.... but my phone wont let me!! I sure hope so. I've seen their urates but vivian hasn't "peed" in a week or so. Tha mat be it... I just don't understand how she is dehydrated if I soak her everyday and.thy have a water bowl.
I had my boyfriend give them spring mix tonight.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I always wash the spring mix and put it in the feed bowl dripping and even though I know it not much water it at least a little. I also spray the shell a few times a day and if the humidity in the enclosure stays constant I don't have issues with dehydration..

snoit83

5 Year Member
Florida
Thank you all very much!! I've gotten much more info from this site than I have from the vets in my area. I will keep you posted and I will change their diet immediately!

Ok... I will start spraying their shells twice before I leave for work and see if my boyfriend will do it when he gets home.... but they will for sure have it done twice a day and a soak. I will feed washed fresh express spring mix in addition to their outside grazing time... any other suggestions? Should I remove the coco husk? Its almost completely covered w hay.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
depending on what your temps are, if they are too hot or under a basking light.. they could be dehyrated even if drinking.. it doenst take much for a baby..
What about your calcium? are they getting any? Cuttle bone?

snoit83

5 Year Member
Florida
They have pieces of a cuttle bone in w them. I also have the powder supplement w D3. We dust that on the grass out side about once or twice a week. Shold I do it more?

Status
Not open for further replies.