Pointers on a sick Russian

NeonGrape

I work at a pet store, and approximately 2 weeks ago a Russian Tortoise was returned because she wasn't eating. Her eyes were a bit sunken in as well. Not to mention she felt like a feather.

On Tuesday of last week we took her to the vet. Her weight was 204 grams at the vet. The vet also took bloodwork. He said her prognosis from the way she looked didn't look good. He said best case scenario, if husbandry wasn't right, it could be hibernation.

He prescribed Metronidazole only for the side effect of increasing the appetite. And also Oxbow Critical Care for syringe feeding. He recommended getting her basking spot up to 95, her ambient temp to 85 and her night temp 75-80 incase she was hibernating and we could slowly bring her out of it. Also, the normal soaks, but daily for 30 minutes. And of course weighing her.

On Thursday her bloodwork came back. The results showed low white and red blood cell counts, and low kindey function. His main concern was sepsis.

We decided to get xrays done that same Thursday. Xrays were normal. But he also prescribed Veraflox. He said from how she looked on Tuesday to now, it was remarkable. He said to continue feeding her, and lets see if she starts eating on her own.

On that Friday, she pooped what appeared to be a woodchip. It was a little under half an inch in length and width. After speaking to the vet, he said she could be compacted just as well a woodchip could have punctured an organ.

On Saturday , I put a few pieces of Collard Greens in her mouth and she ate them, but she still wont eat on her own.

Today, she is up to 220grams. Im still syringe feeding her and soaking her. However, besides the woodchip she has yet to poop and still wont eat on her own.

There are a few different procedures he can try, but because they are surgical I have to get approval from corporate to have it done, and the vet said because of the prognosis being poor, he's not sure they will easily approve.

I guess Im looking for advice. What I can give her to help her poop. If anyone has experienced this with a tortoise or what. If anyone could suggest a food that would make her poop, how long will she go without pooping?

Any tips would be helpful. And please don't bash that I work at a pet store.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Warm soaks for sure. Aloe works as a laxative so does cactus- prickly pear. Hand feeding is prob your best bet as well. Good luck and keep her warm!

NeonGrape

Oh, shes warm. She active, especially compared to last week. How does the aloe come? And forgive me, as this is the first Tortoise I've had to hand feed.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
an actual piece from an aloe Vera plant works well. I also read a thread somewhere on here that subtle vibration, or a car ride can help. Search mineral oil on this forum too. I think people use that for this purpose too, but Im not sur ehow it's administered.

NeonGrape

I talked to the vet about mineral oil, but he said it could be lethal if administered the wrong way because the esophagus needs to be bypassed.

I bring her from work to home with me. So its definitely good to know I should bring an extra towel just in case. Ill have to give the aloe leaf a try.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
hi where are you located? I have organic aloe plants. if you are close I can bring you some

NeonGrape

Ok, I saw the enema mineral oil administration. In case there is a puncture in a kidney, I think Ill stick with the aloe.

Im in ohio..

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I have successfully used mineral oil with my Leopard. Just dip the lettuce in the oil and hand feed. It has to be given on/ with food.

NeonGrape

We use a mixture of sand, eco earth an woodchips.

I put prunes, collard greens and warm water in a blender and mixed her oxbow in it instead of using just warm water. Shes now soaking.

How much mineral oil should I use on a green?

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Home depot, garden centers all have them. Just make sure you wash it really well. I replant all plants after washing off all soil and the leaves

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Sand can irritate the eyes and cause implications. I do know people who use it with no problems. I say away from it

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I'm in norwalk, its about 40 mins from you! If you have a meijers grocery store they sell aloe stalks in the produce section!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I would also ditch the sand, better safe than sorry. Does she move a lot in her soaks, that helps them go.

NeonGrape

Am I jumping the gun on expecting her to poop? Shes gained a nice amount of weight. So could her body possibly be absorbing the nutrients because she clearly needed them instead of pooping?

This is my first time truly taking care of a Tortoise. I can tell you how to house them, how big they get, their care, etc. But as for this... I must say Im learning a lot and have much more to learn.

I read somewhere that it could take up to 21 days for a healthy Russian to poop.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Mine goes every day. So not sure but..... mine tries to hibernate in the fall but I do not let her. So everyday I soak her under her heat lamp( they have to be able to get their body temp up to 95 to pass poop....) and hand feed her. After about a month she snaps out of it but its a ong month of care. Keep up what your doing. Make sure you have a basking spot of 95 to 100 and make sure she spends some time under it.

NeonGrape

I would also ditch the sand, better safe than sorry. Does she move a lot in her soaks, that helps them go.

Since this has started I have had her on towels. Just in case. She does move around quite a bit in her soaks. I use my bathtub and put a towel on the bottom so she has something to grip. She drinks the water too.