Help please?! (closed eyes)

Mambo

Location (City and/or State)
Belfast
hey guys,
So I’ve had mambo now for two months and I’m utterly in love . When I bought her she had swollen eyes so I took her to an exotic vet ( we only have one in Northern Ireland) he checked her and said she was strong and healthy and was eating and drinking and very active. He gave her an injection and some repto boost for her soak water and vitamin a powder for her food. She has still not opened her eyes. She eats and drinks she is so super fast when I let her roam around and seems happy. I just wish she would open her eyes. The vet said he’s stumped and has no idea what else to do. Help?
Attached is a photo of her having a soak listening to Netflix loving life

E7BF3BA6-B357-407C-B9E8-1EB5F2A9352A.jpeg

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Please provide photos and a description of your setup to include temps, humidity, bulb types, heat types, substrate etc... so the experts can help you

Mambo

Belfast
Cool area is 22C and basking area is 35C. There is UV lamp and a 60 watt heat lamp she gets calcium powder and vitamin a powder on her food. There’s a covered humid area where she burrows and sleeps

F7A12B33-CCC5-4D17-B46E-E97B1EF81F7F.jpeg

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I'm not one of the experts, but I have some thoughts:

1) Increase warm soaking, possibly with carrot baby food

2) try antibacterial opthalmic gel ... I got some otc stuff:

IMG_8581.jpg

I don't think either of those pieces of advice can make anything worse.

Jamie

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
We really need pictures of your enclosure, lights, temps and what are you feeding her. Too much vitamins and calcium can be harmful,they should only be used 2 to 3 times a week. If you have coiled bulbs, that can cause eye burns or irritation which will make her keep her eyes closed. What is your substrate?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
So her eyes were open but swollen when you got her?

Have you tried gently cleansing her eyelids, maybe with a Q-tip soaked in lubricant eye drops? You don't want anything that "takes the red out". Just a gentle lubricant and nothing else, maybe the gel Jamie suggested.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since we're dealing with a health problem, and not a normal, healthy baby, I would set the baby up in a smaller, hospital tank. Keep the temperature all over the whole tank 80-85F degrees. Soak the baby in Gerber strained carrots/warm water (50/50) for at least 30 minutes daily.

Dena

New York
  • 8E1C14FE-38DC-44C5-9D7A-15165ED06D7E.jpeg Aww, your poor girl. Her cousin Sheldon in NY sends healing thoughts. He is a Russian Tortoise as well! Please keep us updated on how she is doing. ❤️

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome the light you have with the clamp is a hazard. They are known to fail or a accidental bump of the light or enclosure could make it fall in. If your tort is under not good. If it falls in the substrate and your not around. That could mean a fire. If the light is the coil type like Cheryl said it can damage their eyes. Look at enclosures on this forum and figure a way to build a sturdy framework to hang the lights from.
I love the picture frame you have hanging on the enclosure.

Mambo

Belfast
So her eyes were open but swollen when you got her?

Have you tried gently cleansing her eyelids, maybe with a Q-tip soaked in lubricant eye drops? You don't want anything that "takes the red out". Just a gentle lubricant and nothing else, maybe the gel Jamie suggested.
No her eyes were closed they weren’t supposed to sell her to me and then they did accidentally. They offered to exchange her but I’d already built a bond with her and couldn’t replace her. I’ve been q tip wiping her eyes with sterile water so far

Mambo

Belfast
We really need pictures of your enclosure, lights, temps and what are you feeding her. Too much vitamins and calcium can be harmful,they should only be used 2 to 3 times a week. If you have coiled bulbs, that can cause eye burns or irritation which will make her keep her eyes closed. What is your substrate?
I posted the temps (above) it’s like a flaky brown substrate. She gets kale and dandilions and nettles and pellets. She has a pinch of vit a powder twice a week and a sprinkle of calcium powder too. The bulb is not cooled and securely fastened and the vet recommended it. Her eyes were closed when I bought her

Mambo

Belfast
  • View attachment 266774 Aww, your poor girl. Her cousin Sheldon in NY sends healing thoughts. He is a Russian Tortoise as well! Please keep us updated on how she is doing. ❤️
Hi sheldon (great name) mambo is loving life she’s a big fan of listening to podcasts and eating and digging I’ll post if there’s any change to her eyes ❤️

Mambo

Belfast
Welcome the light you have with the clamp is a hazard. They are known to fail or a accidental bump of the light or enclosure could make it fall in. If your tort is under not good. If it falls in the substrate and your not around. That could mean a fire. If the light is the coil type like Cheryl said it can damage their eyes. Look at enclosures on this forum and figure a way to build a sturdy framework to hang the lights from.
I love the picture frame you have hanging on the enclosure.
Hey! Thanks I’m a bit of an amateur crafter. Yeah it’s a lamp with a clamp but it’s very secure. The vet recommended it as I had a higher wattage bulb and lamp. It’s not a coiled bulb and is high enough from her that she can’t touch it.

Mambo

Belfast
In addition I can find of see her “blinking” under her eyelids and she is sensitive to any light that may flash near her

Attachments

• CE69317F-254C-4019-94C8-D0BAC8FA063B.jpeg
    CE69317F-254C-4019-94C8-D0BAC8FA063B.jpeg
    400.1 KB · Views: 19

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
No her eyes were closed they weren’t supposed to sell her to me and then they did accidentally. They offered to exchange her but I’d already built a bond with her and couldn’t replace her. I’ve been q tip wiping her eyes with sterile water so far
Oh, ok. I misunderstood.

I'm sorry that your baby has this problem. Follow the advise given by other members, and hopefully she'll open them.

But even if you have a "special needs" tortoise, I'm sure the two of you will figure a way to overcome the challenges. Just keep loving her. She's fortunate to have you.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
In addition I can find of see her “blinking” under her eyelids and she is sensitive to any light that may flash near her
Did the vet try to open her eyes manually? Could the lids be fused together? I believe while in the egg the lids are grown together, then at some point in their development, the lids separate.

Just a thought..

Mambo

Belfast
Oh, ok. I misunderstood.

I'm sorry that your baby has this problem. Follow the advise given by other members, and hopefully she'll open them.

But even if you have a "special needs" tortoise, I'm sure the two of you will figure a way to overcome the challenges. Just keep loving her. She's fortunate to have you.
I hope she will open her eyes but she’s adapting to not being able to see and she is full of life and personality. She is awesome

Mambo

Belfast
Did the vet try to open her eyes manually? Could the lids be fused together? I believe while in the egg the lids are grown together, then at some point in their development, the lids separate.

Just a thought..
No he wiped her eyes with a cotton pad and then gave her the injection she lets me wipe her eyes with a q tip but if I touch her eye with my finger she puts her head in her shell