Please your guesses on sex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anfi

5 Year Member
Could you please help me to determine sex of my friend's hermann tortoise? See some photos below and thanks in advance.
f5aa85bd6fd0.jpg

1b4146822002.jpg

10afd9790f36.jpg

9dfb40b9a490.jpg

Heavy

5 Year Member
A lot of thank's for your help!
I want to specify that this tortoise have just 4 inches long. How do you think it's really female or it can "change" it's sex?

Jupiterannette

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
it has the U not the V also the top of the carpus doesn't scoop under at all, and the U is wide so the egg can get out.. its not en exact science.. but experience speaks for something.... not that i have much.. lol but others here, have just a little lol ;)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Sorry, I just don't see the resemblance to Eddie Van Halen. Okay, I have to be honest, I've never seen Eddie's naked lower torso to actually be able to compare, but still, no resemblance that I can see (or imagine)!

Didn't care for the name Wolfgang I take it?

Heavy

5 Year Member
We called her Eddie not because she looks like real person :D All my tortoises are named in honour of different people (famous guitar players, footbol players, personages of stories etc) :)

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
The photographs are fantastic for the id of the animal. I do agree that it is a female.

What I question is how this animal differs from the animal that is posted in the general section for id of sex?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think Anfi posted a sex question in the "General" section. The most recent one I saw in that forum was a Greek tortoise. Which are you referring to?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok, I see...

I don't know anything about Hermann's tortoises, but here's my uneducated guess on the two pictures:

Anfi's tortoise's cloaca is rounder and the anal scutes are pointed down or towards the tail.

Siwash's tortoises's cloaca is a slit and the anal scutes are pointing towards the back legs.

How did I do, teach?

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Did you look at the photos I put in the general section post?

Normally I don't like using my hand in a photo but in this case I used it for scale. The difference between the male and female is quite obvious.

What's curious is that the photos in both posts are quite similar.

emysemys said:
Ok, I see...

I don't know anything about Hermann's tortoises, but here's my uneducated guess on the two pictures:

Anfi's tortoise's cloaca is rounder and the anal scutes are pointed down or towards the tail.

Siwash's tortoises's cloaca is a slit and the anal scutes are pointing towards the back legs.

How did I do, teach?

Heavy

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
It was my tortoise ;) ->
Anfi said:
Could you please help me to determine sex of my friend's hermann tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.