Sex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Leyland, UK
Well then,

I do believe I have an introduction to make quite soon. However, I want to do it right, so...

Please can I get some help determining my new companion's sex? Obviously, I'm no expert. This is my first tortoise, and I've done plenty of research but as far as working out the sex goes, I've only dipped in and out of threads on here, made my own guesses on your pictures and tried to work it out as I went along.

I went into the shop with a male in mind. I think I've picked one out. In fact, to me, it seems pretty obvious, but I've been learning for only a month...so, guesses?

He/she is only a 2009 tort, so of course I understand we might not be sure for now!

Sex3.jpg

Sex2.jpg

Sex1.jpg

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
...Yes, Please! Sorry. Austin Powers was on last night so I couldn't help myself!!! :D:D

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
AnthonyC said:
...Yes, Please! Sorry. Austin Powers was on last night so I couldn't help myself!!! :D:D

You're forgiven.

I did feel silly explaining to my fiance this morning that I was probably going to spend a bit longer than expected in the pet shop as I was going to try sexing the tortoises before I chose which one I wanted.

:rolleyes:

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Bump :)

(im not sure but...bump...again...im only doing this i want you to introduce him/her)

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
tyler0912 said:
Bump :)

(im not sure but...bump...again...im only doing this i want you to introduce him/her)

Hopefully soon enough, Tyler. I may just end up giving up and making an assumption, but would rather know. 7pm at the latest!

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
I'm no expert at sexing yet but I would go with male. I agree it's too young to tell, most likely. I'm basing my guess off the shape(more line looking then *) and location(further from the shell) of the cloaca and the longer, hook-like tail. Best of luck with your new friend :)

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Skyler Nell said:
I'm no expert at sexing yet but I would go with male. I agree it's too young to tell, most likely. I'm basing my guess off the shape(more line looking then *) and location(further from the shell) of the cloaca and the longer, hook-like tail. Best of luck with your new friend :)

Thank you. :)

I'll be posting pictures in an hour. Just wanted to be sure on the sex (as much as possible) to confirm the name first.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm still learning the odds and ends tricks of sexing young tortoises, but one thing I've learned so far is that in the testudo tortoises, the males have an indent at the juncture of femoral to anal scute. Your picture shows a slight indent, so I'm going with male.

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
You got your tortoise?????
Ohhh, please introduce it... uhm him!!

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Sky2Mina said:
You got your tortoise?????
Ohhh, please introduce it... uhm him!!

Will do soon. Just eating, then I'll show him to the world. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.