Please.. Orchid vs Cypress - GO!!

Ashes

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
I need to change my RF's substrate. I can't do full Eco Earth anymore - I'm not sure why, but even after I completely changed it, when I went to mix it around a bit and pour some water in there today, it again brought up the rotten egg smell.

I think I will still use a few inches of it for humidity reasons - but I want to put something different on top.

I've seen a lot about the fine grade orchid bark and the cypress mulch. Since I've not used either, what do you guys think? Is one or the other better? And where do you get your bags of what you use?

Turtlepete

South Florida
Tried orchid bark once. Didn't like it, but that's just a matter of opinion. I love cypress mulch, have never found something that holds humidity better. If it's for a young tort, what you can do is lay down a layer of cypress mulch, and then cover it with spaghum moss, so the large chunks don't get in their way (I do this for hatchlings).

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I use Cypress for very short period of time because it is very expensive (in CA) and hard to maintain humidity so I go wit coco coil. I know you have issue with that substrate but I have coco coil for 6 month now. Not bad so far. Maybe because I'm in CA also.

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
Well the top of the Eco Earth also gets this gray/white coat? Like.... I don't know! I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.... So I'm just gonna change it. Lol.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Coco coir husk(chips) has by far the best moisture property without keeping the plastron wet and without being messy like coco coir earth. It soaks up water which slowly evaporates. It also does not support any insect (gnats) issues. Very ideal for red foot and smells nice.

Last edited:

mikeh

5 Year Member
Coco coir husk(chips) can be found in fine , medium or large chips size.

Attachments

• 1401733647340.jpg
    1401733647340.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 31

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
Mike, thank you so much!!! I think I will try that!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I also like the coco chips. I don't usually recommend them because I don't even know where to get them. I bought a truckload of giant bales of it from that hippy that goes to the reptile shows. After several years I still have a bunch left.

I prefer orchid bark over cypress mulch. I don't like the large jagged pieces found in the cypress mulch and sometimes it has a swampy smell. I started soaking and rinsing it before I'd use it in the past.

Fine grade orchid bark is made up of consistently smaller pieces. It also does good job of holding moisture down low, but staying dry on top, which is important for a RF. You can buy a giant 2.0 cubic foot bag of it for about $5 at any hardware store. They usually call it "Fir Bark" or "Pathway Bark".

mikeh

5 Year Member
Here is another good source. 5kg block for $11. These look like nicely cut clean chips. Once it soaks water it expands a bit and becomes softer.

The trick is to find good quality without the long fibers. For hatchling I'd recommend finer grade to eliminate tortoise tipping over on larger chips, but packing it down helps too. But even then there is enough traction for tortoise to correct itself. Once tortoise is 3.5" larger chips are great too.
LLL reptile and Petsmart/Petco sell them as well but at a high cost of $7 for small brick.

http://www.altgarden.com/plant-growing-mediums/coco-coir/coco-chip-block.html

Www.usorchidsupplies.com has the best selection of different cuts and even lower prices.

Attachments

• 1401739018453.jpg
    1401739018453.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
Thank you all for your input. I really appreciate it! :)

Tom, one step further - do you like the orchid or coco bark better (not based on how easy it is to obtain)?

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
What about this one, mikeh?
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1401846915.286794.jpg

mikeh

5 Year Member
Sure. Any specifically for use with plants are great. They are PH buffered as well. I guarantee you will be happy with its overall performance. I have never used orchard bark so cant comment. How big is your red foot?

I have ordered some products from Hydrofarm before. I am sure the chips are of good quality.

Last edited:

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
My little'un is about 67 grams and 2.5". :)

mikeh

5 Year Member
The chips look of a finer cut so it will do for hatchling. Rinse and Soak in water, let absorb and drain. Pack down lightly in enclosure. Spot clean as needed. Chips will hold moisture for week or much longer. No need to spray them daily. They can be washed/rinsed and reused. After 6-9 months they will start getting soft and saggy, time to replace. Please share pictures once you set it up.

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
Thank you very much for your help! I will post when I get it done! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you all for your input. I really appreciate it! :)

Tom, one step further - do you like the orchid or coco bark better (not based on how easy it is to obtain)?

I like different ones for different things. I prefer orchid bark for baby sulcatas and leopards, but I prefer coco chips for my Blue tongue skinks. I prefer coco coir for baby russians or CDTs. I don't keep RFs, but if I did I would use fine grade orchid bark. It packs down nicely and holds a lot of water down low, but still maintains a dry-ish surface layer.

Really I think any of them are fine and they all have their good and bad points.