Please help

Skyisthebest

This morning my Mum took my turtle out of his tank and to the roof for him to get some sun. I only bring him to the roof to get sun every weekend, so today is a Monday and thus there was a break in the routine. It was also when I was just waking up when she told me, and I half thought I was dreaming. That was about 8am. I had school later at 2pm, so I always finished up my work by 12 so I can get ready to go to school. So since I wasn't the one who let my turtle on the roof to get some sun, I totally forgot that he was on the roof. He was up there in the scorching sun from at least 8am to 1pm. There was no water in the pail as well, because my Mum said the water will heat up and end up cooking the turtle. Well water or not, when I suddenly recalled that he was on the roof, I think it was too late. He was very very warm to the touch and he was limp. And I ran him under cold tap water hoping that he will stir awake. But nothing. I'm so angry with myself that I forgot about him on my roof. And it was because of the break in the routine that I never bring him to the roof on a weekday morning, only weekends morning, that's why it never cross my mind that he will be on the roof. I feel so guilty that this is all my fault and now he's gone. I left him back in his tank and I hope that when I come back from school tonight he will be swimming like normal. I refuse to accept that he's dead... please advice what is happening and what I should do... if he's really gone... I can't have another turtle again. Because all I'll be thinking is that I'm a murderer and it's all my fault. I'm so sorry.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
All you can do is let your turtle soak and rehydrate and hope for the best.

They are very tough and he may recover, but it doesn't sound good.

My fingers are firmly crossed for you.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
I'm so sorry.

When you do this as long as some of us have, you end up having at least one experience lil this, where an animal gets left in the sun for too long, or a tortoise if left in a bath for too long.

I was not the best keeper in my younger years. I started keeping turtles at age 5. My friend and I often reflect on these early "pets." I usually feel bad when thinking about how I must have treated those animals. But now, I have dedicated my life to "saving" turtles, whatever that means. So, perhaps those early turtles' lives did mean something.

My point is, if you learn from this experience and use it to drive you to do better, perhaps your turtle's life wouldn't have been wasted, but used for real good!

Skyisthebest

Thanks a lot for the encouragement.

I just got home and he's already been soaking since 1pm. Now it's 9.30pm, so it's been 8.5hours. He's still the same as I found him... he never moved. I am losing hope and I think he is already gone... this is a very upsetting experience for me as he was my first pet, and it's just half a month more before it will be 3 years since I got him. I will never forget how amazing turtle he is. I'm not giving up on him yet, I will continue soaking him... but once it passes 24hours, I think it is confirmed he is gone...

If I have another pet next time, I will definitely spend more time taking better care of them. His life was not to waste.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a real shame, but like Anthony said, most all of us can recount a similar story. I know that doesn't make it right, but you can rest assured, you're not alone. We know what you're going through. Just remember your turtle when he was happily swimming in his tank, and try to forget how you lost him.

Skyisthebest

I have decided to let him go... I'm trying to ask if the private cremation service is able to cremate turtles as well. Because they do it for cats dogs rabbits etc. If possible, I will scatter his shell and ashes at the park near my home. There are many "wild" RESes there too.

I took the picture after I've scrubbed his shell. I will proceed to dry him and even prepared a nice box for him...

One thing that I want to ask is when I put him in water he sinks. He is also about the same weight as normal. His flesh is soft to the touch. And he does not smell at all. Could there still be a chance that he might still be alive?

Thanks for all the support.

Attachments

• 1477985691931.jpg
    1477985691931.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 13

Skyisthebest

And this is how the back of him looks like. His tail is still kept in and nothing is protruding out from his cloaca.

Attachments

• 1477986253902.jpg
    1477986253902.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 11

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I'm sorry to hear about this. I always set an alarm on my phone when I break routine and need to remember something.

Is he stiff? If he hasn't gone into rigor mortis I would continue to keep him warm and just observe him.