Found Turtle

Jennifer M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Georgia
This turtle was found on our playground at school today. Of course they call me to come. Our playground is fenced in so not exactly sure how he got in. He was feisty and had long nails. I moved him across the road from the school. There is a pond in the woods that way so I hope that's where he was headed. 20171003_134332.jpg

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
My guess would be a wood turtle. It's hard to tell without seeing its head neck and legs.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Pretty sure that is a male red ear slider. The scute shapes and layout are Trachemys. The head and what I can see of the shell pattern looks like a melanistic slider. You can see the long nails of the front left foot. Male Red Ear. Trachemys scripta elegans. Would need a head and neck shot to be 100% but pretty sure from what I see.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
This is not my area (what is?) but I want to play, anyway.
I think it's a red-eared slider, too, seen photos of ones with a similar carapace structure.
Anyway, thanks for posting, he's lovely.

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
ok, perhaps you are all right, though i have two, mine looking nothing like it, but they are both captive, so their head shape is entirely different, nature:) she is awesome though:) and he is a beauty :)

Melis

Maryland
ok, perhaps you are all right, though i have two, mine looking nothing like it, but they are both captive, so their head shape is entirely different, nature:) she is awesome though:) and he is a beauty :)
I have a male red ear as well. Head and eyes are very different than that pic

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
There's an enormous amount of variation concerning red ears. I am consistently astounded how different native forms are between the states. My favorite is the South Texas form; absolutely beautiful. Definitely a Trachemys, and I could buy that it is a yellow belly, but I'd have to see the plastron, the head, and the neck.

T.G.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Trachemys scripta...older male. Could be either an elegans as was mentioned above, or scripta scripta, the yellow bellied turtle.
Depends on the location of origin.
The males of both red eared and yellow bellied sliders look extremely similar as they age and become melanistic.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Looks like a semi-aquatic turtle...not at all like a slider...or even a yellowbelly...

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Looks like a semi-aquatic turtle...not at all like a slider...or even a yellowbelly...

True, sometimes old Trachemys (American pond sliders) do indeed look very different from our usual notion of what they're supposed to look like.
Their shells get a sculptured, or wrinkled look to them (called 'rugosity') that makes them appear terrestrial.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A lovely turtle! That's all I can say, I'm afraid.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Since a lot of responses seem to not have seen melanistic Trachemys, I though I would post the best picture I could find of a melanistic male (bottom) next to a female on top. Trachemys scripta elegans Not a large image, but you can still see how similar to the one above...

melanistic red ear.jpg