Please help! Swallowed a small stone.

scarlettelaura

Dave has been put into his new enclosure outside and there are loads of little tiny pebbles within the dirt. He picked one up and seems to have swallowed it. Has this happened to any one before? Will I need to take him to a vet? Please help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If it went in the front, chances are good it will be able to go out the back. The problem occurrs when they swallow more than one that the stones build up and block the exit 'pipe.' Hydration is the key. Soak every day and make sure the tortoise has access to water at all times.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is fairly normal, but you might want to consider your diet and supplementation routine. Let us know if you want to get into that.

Hello and welcome.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yeah, I believe it happens from time to time :p...offer up your daily warm water soaks and offer some wet type food treats to keep the inside juicied up and all should come "out" fine ;)

scarlettelaura

Thanks guys! He soaks every other day minimum anyway and is still eating and moving around well. I just got really worried!
What kind of wet treats can I give him? He's on a diet of weeds and green leaves at the moment with nutrobal supplement every few days.