My sulcata swallowed a screw!

Albee

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Here's new updates on kiwi, he's very limp and weak today, He's not responding when I pull his legs or feet, is this a normal thing after surgery?

Albee

Indonesia
Here's new updates on kiwi, he's very limp and weak today, He's not responding when I pull his legs or feet, is this a normal thing after surgery?

Here's some vid of him, he'll open his eyes when I lift him to other place, he's just so weak

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I'm not sure, I would make sure to keep him warm and comfortable. Hopefully someone else with more experience will have some input

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks for the reply, Some of my friends said that getting injection is not a good idea, Is that true? Because the vet said I need to go back there for shots
what kind?

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
if they opened his intestines , my opinion is , not getting antibiotics is a worse idea than getting them .......... fluid therapy may not cure him , but i have little doubt it'll perk him up , and it may save him , if he needs saving ........ best of luck to him , you obviously did everything you could ............

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Usually after any surgery vet puts antibiotics inside specially when it was such a complex procedure.

If the animal is weak most vets provides an IV - did Kiwi got an IV?

I would talk to the vet and get an exact list of medications, fluids etc.

It is normal for an animal to feel “out of it “ for 1-3 days.
Please keep him warm. I would get possibly and electric blanket to wrap him in. Yes they are washable. Just an idea.

Hope things are getting better.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i've experienced more than my share of abdominal surgeries , intussusceptions , bowel and stomach torsions , foreign object removals , and intestinal ischemia , a byproduct of raising dogs prone to such issues ..... i've never gone home without baytril ..................... as for the heating blanket , too hot will kill them quicker than too cold ........ an incubator is a better idea ..... JMO

Albee

Indonesia
if they opened his intestines , my opinion is , not getting antibiotics is a worse idea than getting them .......... fluid therapy may not cure him , but i have little doubt it'll perk him up , and it may save him , if he needs saving ........ best of luck to him , you obviously did everything you could ............

The vet opened his stomach and said it's inflamed because the screw corroded, I'll try tl force feed him today, he hasn't eaten anything for 3 days and I'm afraid lack of nutritions will make his condition worse

Albee

Indonesia
Usually after any surgery vet puts antibiotics inside specially when it was such a complex procedure.

If the animal is weak most vets provides an IV - did Kiwi got an IV?

I would talk to the vet and get an exact list of medications, fluids etc.

It is normal for an animal to feel “out of it “ for 1-3 days.
Please keep him warm. I would get possibly and electric blanket to wrap him in. Yes they are washable. Just an idea.

Hope things are getting better.

No, kiwi didn't get IV. I'll try to make him warm as possible I could

Albee

Indonesia
Hello guys, new updates on kiwi. He still refused to eat and it's been 3 days. I was planning to force-feed him today. I'm afraid his conditions will getting worse if there's no nutrition fed to his body. I'll blend some veggies and mix it with vitamins so as water so he'll keep dehydrated. Thanks for all love and supports!

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
if it damaged his lung , i'd have to assume it perforated his stomach ? when was the last time he ate ?did the vet tell you to force feed him ? 3 days without food is nothing for a tortoise ....... i'd be more concerned about fluids , when he feels better he'll eat ..........jmo

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
if it damaged his lung , i'd have to assume it perforated his stomach ? when was the last time he ate ?did the vet tell you to force feed him ? 3 days without food is nothing for a tortoise ....... i'd be more concerned about fluids , when he feels better he'll eat ..........jmo
Agreed. Stomach may not be accepting food. I would focus on fluids. Tortoise can choose to go without food depending on whats going on internally/environmentally.

Albee

Indonesia

I see, Yes the screw damaged his lungs, The vet said to me it's okay that he didn't eat, I'm just too worried bout him, Maybe for today I'll just feed him some water, can I mix vitamins to the water?

Albee

Indonesia
I see, Yes the screw damaged his lungs, The vet said to me it's okay that he didn't eat, I'm just too worried bout him, Maybe for today I'll just feed him some water, can I mix vitamins to the water?

And also I'm a bit concerned about the shots, he's supposed to get the antibiotic injection today, but his condition is very dropped, I'm afraid that his body couldn't make it. Any suggestion? My planning was to get the injections when he's a bit healthier.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Maybe offer some carrot purée mixed with pedialyte. If he won’t drink maybe you can use a syringe to squirt some in.