The baby Russian hatchling that swallowed the hare

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeastern US
OK - he swallowed a long HAIR...
so today I was weighing my 3 new little guys, and when I put one one the scale noticed a long hair on him. Not thinking, I reached down to pull it away....
My poor little guy went flipping and flying!!...
The hair I quickly picked up was In The process of passing through his digestive tract!! And still attached to his tail.
Thank god he seems ok and did not have a more drastic fall - he flipped from the scale onto the table it was sting on. Just a few inches, but I feel awful!
He ate as normal after his soak, the hair is still passing through.
(Trimmed off what has come through so no one else starts eating it too!)
I will be tying back my hair when food prepping in future!
Watching poor little guy extra close after his traumatic day!

Is this a first??

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Definitely not a first, these things happen. In the future if he gets another hair you can pull gently and if it doesn't come out my vet recommends NOT forcing it. Cut it off short (you can leave enough dangling that you can tell it's there) and wait and see if it passes since hair, string, thread, etc can wrap around the curves inside the digestive tract.
I have really long thick hair and I shed like a husky blowing it's winter coat. I always ball my stray hairs up and toss them so no one eats them on accident, including my boyfriend, haha.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm sure the baby is fine, but it is a good idea to tie your hair up or wear a net, it could be very dangerous if it tangles inside

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
I'm sure the baby is fine, but it is a good idea to tie your hair up or wear a net, it could be very dangerous if it tangles inside
Yes, I will be watching him closely- just hoping all passes thru without any tangling or obstruction. I feel just terrible!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
if it's coming out, albeit slowly since its undigestible there shouldn't be any problems.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, I will be watching him closely- just hoping all passes thru without any tangling or obstruction. I feel just terrible!
Don't feel bad, you didn't do it on purpose. He probably would have taken a worse fall then that by this age in the wild.

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
Same thing has happened to two of my torts. Other than a heart attack on my side, it didn't seem to affect the torts. Vigilance is the key!

Would be a nightmare if the unfortunate did occur.

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
Well, I am relieved to hear it is not a first and has had positive outcomes in the past.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I feel just terrible!

My iguana ate a pair of stringy cute undies and I had no idea until he deposited them in his bath. That was a real "How the heck...?!" moment. No idea how long they took to pass either, no signs of any issues, just, "Tah dah! Neon Panties!"

Rue

Canada
Not quite as entertaining...but when we got our mini Daschund puppy (10 years ago)...she would eat the crotch out of any pair of undies she could find. My teenage daughter started picking up her clothes off the floor about then...