My sulcata swallowed a screw!

Albee

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
@Albee How is he doing??

Hi @KarenSoCal, I brought him to vet yesterday and he got antibiotic shots. The vet asked me to force-feed him until he's eating by his own since he still refused to eat until now. His plastorn was also a bit flabby and the vet said he's afraid that there was infection from yesterday's surgery. Thankfully today Kiwi is much stronger and active. I'm just hoping he'll start eating asap.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi @KarenSoCal, I brought him to vet yesterday and he got antibiotic shots. The vet asked me to force-feed him until he's eating by his own since he still refused to eat until now. His plastorn was also a bit flabby and the vet said he's afraid that there was infection from yesterday's surgery. Thankfully today Kiwi is much stronger and active. I'm just hoping he'll start eating asap.
Yes, I hope so too. If the force-feeding goes on more than a few days, will the vet put in a feeding tube? Did he say how to avoid aspiration pneumonia?

Albee

Indonesia
Yes, I hope so too. If the force-feeding goes on more than a few days, will the vet put in a feeding tube? Did he say how to avoid aspiration pneumonia?
The vet didn't day anything beside the infection and force feed, maybe I should asked about that later, can I know about the aspiration? Will force feed leads to that?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
The vet didn't day anything beside the infection and force feed, maybe I should asked about that later, can I know about the aspiration? Will force feed leads to that?

Any time we put something into somebody else's mouth, there's the possibility of it going "down the wrong tube", especially if the one being fed really hates the process, and doesn't want to eat.

Aspiration pneumonia is what can happen if any of the food or liquid goes into the lungs instead of the stomach.

Just be really careful feeding him. Make sure to put the food in the front of his mouth, and give him time to swallow it.

Albee

Indonesia
Hello guys, I'm so sorry for the late update after Kiwi's surgery. A month ago we stop to inject antibiotics into him as the vet said that he is "okay" at that time. But he still refuses to eat and getting limper every day. Then I decided to bring him to another vet because he's not getting better at all. The other vet said that there might be another infection in his stomach or lungs and still the same he got antibiotics and vitamin shot 3 days ago. Until today things got worse, he didn't move at all aka refused to walk. I tried to pull his leg but his response was very slow. His urine is a bit thick and his urates colored yellow but sometimes it's white, the texture is similar to toothpaste. I still force-feed him until now and every time he swallowed his food he produced a weird sound which I don't know what sound is that and what happens to him. I will really appreciate any of your replies, thankyou.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I don't understand why the vet doesn't put a feeding tube in. It would be so much easier on you both.

I'm so sorry Kiwi is still having such serious problems. I had hoped he was all healed up by now.

I really don't know what to suggest. Hopefully someone will reply that can actually help you. I'll be praying for Kiwi.

Albee

Indonesia
Thanks for the reply @KarenSoCal , He vomitted a lot today and I guess it's a bit acidic, yesterday I went to vet and do another X-ray but there was nothing wrong with him and his wounds are recovering. The vet predict that maybe he's run out of nutrition because force feed won't be enough for him. He got vitamin and antibiotic shots yesterday and more active today. Just had no idea why he vomitted.

Albee

Indonesia
Thanks for the reply @KarenSoCal , He vomitted a lot today and I guess it's a bit acidic, yesterday I went to vet and do another X-ray but there was nothing wrong with him and his wounds are recovering. The vet predict that maybe he's run out of nutrition because force feed won't be enough for him. He got vitamin and antibiotic shots yesterday and more active today. Just had no idea why he vomitted.

Here's the X-ray result

Attachments

• 20210112_151442.jpg
    20210112_151442.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29

zovick

10 Year Member!
Here's the X-ray result
It doesn't look as though the screw is still in the tortoise's system, but it is much harder to see this new X-ray than the first one you posted because you took the picture of it from further away and at an angle rather than straight on.

Is the tortoise eating on its own or not?

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
First of all I want to say thankyou for all members in tortoise forum that already helped me during kiwi's surgery until now. I'm really really thankful because of that. Today 14 January 2021 Kiwi has left us all. Rip kiwi.
Sorry for you loss.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
First of all I want to say thankyou for all members in tortoise forum that already helped me during kiwi's surgery until now. I'm really really thankful because of that. Today 14 January 2021 Kiwi has left us all. Rip kiwi.
I'm so sorry for your loss. You did everything you could.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I’m so sorry to hear this. There‘s nothing more you could have done.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oh no! What a bummer!

To say I'm sorry just isn't enough. You worked so hard to save him, and Kiwi fought so hard to live...to have it end like this is crushing. ?

I hope that after some time goes by, that you will find it in your heart to give a new tortoise a great home. :tort:

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
so sorry to hear and for your loss! you did everything u could have for him

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
My heart ??

Im so sorry!! I read through all threads....

I’m new at this...and I’m sad for you!!
RIP kiwi!!

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I’m so sorry for the loss of your beloved Kiwi, I’ve been following this thread, and I know how much you fought and advocated for your tort. Please know you are being held close to my heart...