Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!Sulcata not growing

robandcole

Location (City and/or State)
South west Florida
Hi all my baby sully is not gaining weight he is two months old and has weighd 38 grams sence say one he eats good and healthy. He soaks everyday temps and humidity are all perfict per toms care sheet... he is vary active poops good everything seems fine other than not gaining weight what's wrong with him he is from tortiosesupply.com any help would be great thanks he has no uvb but gets outside 1-2 hours daily under super vision

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
What are you feeding him and in what quantity?
Does he eat all his food, or is there some left over?
Is he getting calcium in his diet or are you adding it in some way?

robandcole

South west Florida
I feed grass and weeds from my lawn with calcium powder and store greens also brumuda grass that I have growen for him he eats a lot well it looks like a lot to me for his small size of 2 1/2 inches I feed him a pile as big as him of grass and fresh store greens every day every other day he gets tort pellets made by pretty pets and also some made by zoo med the grass land stuff... he is outside every day for at least a hour or two and grazes the lawn then too he is pooing green wet poos sometimes his poo is darker in color but its always moist never dry so I think he is getting enough water ??? I don't know sometimes there is a lot of food left over sometimes none.. where in the cafe should I feed him?. I have been feeding him on a flat slate rock under his basking lamp?? Is that ok or no? Thanks for the reply and sorry for jumping around in my answer.... Lol

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Could he have parasites? That could slow it down I'm guessing.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Same question as mikeylazer, I can't imagine it's been too long since he is only two months old.
Our tort has gone through growth spurts, occasionally not gaining weight for a week or two and then piling on quite a bit in the following weeks.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Good morning! I haven't had coffee yet but I am pretty sure I remember that the Pretty Pets food is junk. I would do a forum search (or if anyone can confirm/deny) and be sure. What exactly is in that mix in the photo? I don't see any greens. I would feed my guy when he was that small a large serving of tortoise greens (be sure to read the care sheets on the forum of what is appropriate, try and limit store bought as much as you can) twice a day, he also had available greens in his outdoor enclosure. I would also soak a (1) Mazuri pellet and feed. I placed his slate for food off to the side of his heat lamp, not right under it. You will have to dice his food pretty small since he is a wee little fella. He looks good from the photo, double check your temps/lighting/humidity and try and bump up more greens. Tortoisesupply should also be able to give you suggestions (I would email or call Tyler) as they have a good reputation and I am sure they would love to give you some personal recommendations as well.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
How about taking your tort to a vet?

Meanwhile, good luck.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you clean that feeding slate daily?

Go back and ask Tyler how the baby was started and where it came from. How often was it soaked in its first few weeks? Was it started in a brooder box or left in the incubator? What was the incubation media? 38 grams at two months indicates a problem somewhere. They should be somewhere around 60 grams by two months. Mine hatch at 35-39 typically.

I don't have any experience using the Pretty Pets food, so I really can't say whether its good or bad, but I have had universally good results with Mazuri. I recommend it.

robandcole

South west Florida
The pile he is eating is the pretty pets and zoo med grass land tort pellets he loves it but only mixed like that also he gets a lot of greens daily... I do clean that slate daily every morning before I feed him... I'll email Tyler and see what he thinks may be going on....

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
It'll take a tortoise much longer than three weeks to adapt to a new enironment.

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
It may take him a little longer to gain weight. Simon was only gaining 1-2 grams per week at first and for about a week he didnt even really eat anything. He is most likely fine, just needs some time.