2 years old soon and only 100 grams

Bb1

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi, I have two marginated tortoises, one that is growing really well and one that do not seem to be gaining any weight at all. It eats well and poops regularly, but just don’t seem to gain anything.

How heavy should he/she be now? Looking at my older one I am thinking he/she should be at least double the size it is now.

Seems happy and active, just worried something is not quite right.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If they live together that's the problem. The smaller one is living a high stressed life as the other is bullying it. Get them separated ASAP and likely the small one will catch up when it's living stress/bully free.
If they are already separated, how was the small one hatched and raised before you got it? Same as the bigger one?

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, I have two marginated tortoises, one that is growing really well and one that do not seem to be gaining any weight at all. It eats well and poops regularly, but just don’t seem to gain anything.

How heavy should he/she be now? Looking at my older one I am thinking he/she should be at least double the size it is now.

Seems happy and active, just worried something is not quite right.
We will need more info to help you figure out what is going on, but we are happy to help.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome! Can you post some pictures of the tortoises?

Bb1

England
They have a very very large area outside and hardly spend any time together. It’s also sections in their enclosure. It is covered over with chicken wire so birds can’t get to the smaller one.

They eat mostly weeds I collect outside and eat a lot. I do give them food in different areas so I know how much the small one eats. They have daily baths as well.