Horse field weight

Minimoomin

Hi I have a horsefield was sold as 6 months old, have had him 3 weeks on Monday. He was 21 grams when we got him, today his 22 grams. I know weight can go up and down and has before as he has been 23 grams before. Would just like to know if he should of put on more weight tho ? He is very active? Eats loads all weeds, has cuttlebone, soaked everyday and he self soaks to.
Thanks

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
As long as he is eating and he is active, don't worry too much. Weigh weekly at roughly the same time of day each time and record the trend. Make sure you soak your baby daily for a good 20 minutes as it is easy for the little ones to become dehydrated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is on the light side for a 6 month old. That is hatching weight. Are you sure of the age?

What was the incubation media, and was the baby left in the incubation box after hatching or moved to a brooder box?

Minimoomin

I don't know any of the that. I got him from a pet shop. They said he was 6 months but I'm not sure I believe them.

They sold us 2 telling us that they could be kept together and as we found out from this site they can't. The other one was was poorly, wouldn't move, wouldn't eat anything so we separated them but sadly he didn't make it and passed away. So I don't believe anything the pet shop has told us, just want to make sure this one is ok, has a happy and healthy life.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Sounds like he didn't get the best start. Might be worth taking a poop sample to the vet to check for worms in this little one

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks like you bought from the wrong source. A common mistake... Sorry.

Minimoomin

I really did buy from the wrong source. Love this little guy so much tho am glad we got him. It's just so sad the other little guy didn't make it. I'm going to concentrate on this one for a while, make sure his healthy and happy. There seems to always be things you can improve on for their care. Once we have a bigger outdoor enclosure we will get a older one and know under no circumstances can 2 be kept together.

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
I've got 2 females that have been together for 10 years .They get on really well

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
So sorry to hear about the loss of one of your new tortoises and wish you well in doing your best for the other one.