Please help stop HR669 before it devastates our economy and hobby/livelihood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
Please watch this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FPfL212CB8

And then visit www.nohr669.com to do your part!

Here is a copy of the letter I sent to my representative. I gathered the components for it in various places. Please feel free to use all or any of this material, and please write to your representative.

Subject: Oppose HR669

(Del or Rep Name),

I oppose HR669. This Bill is not based in science, but in the ideology of powerful special interest groups. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that banning the import, sale and trade of any of these animals will have any positive effect on the economy, environment, or human or animal species health.

In fact, if passed it would destroy many families and businesses. It would have a decidedly negative impact on an already ailing economy by destroying a vital and growing industry at a time when our country is in need of jobs and growth. The USFWS has just made changes to the CITES export permit process which would allow quality captive bred animals to be more easily exported to international customers. Passing HR669 would negate all the work USFWS has done for over a year. This Bill is a disaster to American small business and families in a time of economic hardship.

This bill would prohibit the possession, importation, interstate transport, or breeding of all non-native animals, including reptiles, unless those animals were specifically allowed on a list maintained by the Department of the Interior. The animal-rights extremists advocating this bill have said that they want to eliminate the keeping of snakes as pets. The representatives who are sponsoring this bill are liberal Democrats, and the bill would give that power to an Interior Department now in the power of people appointed by Barak Obama.

Undoubtedly, the other side will try to make arguments about public safety and the environment. Neither of these arguments is valid. Very few imported snake species have the power to kill a person, and their instincts make attacks against people even more unlikely. Dogs, or chimps as recently seen, incorporate people into their social structures, and they may attack because their instincts lead them to see people a certain way. Snakes don't share these instincts, and their instinctual behavior is to crawl under something and wait for people to go away. Snakes do not reproduce as fast as most mammals, and they cannot expand the way that nutria or feral house cats do. Most non-native snakes in the pet trade cannot even survive and breed in the United States outside of Florida or Hawaii. The representative from Guam is trying to draw parallels with a brown snake introduced into Guam, but Guam is very similar to the native island of that snake. The same is not true for snakes in the pet trade in the continental United States.

Many states have already enacted their own regulations. Louisiana requires that keepers of large constrictors obtain permits showing that they understand safety and security. Florida has even stricter regulations because the only breeding feral populations of pythons are in Florida. These regulations further argue against the need for federal regulation.

The exotic pet industry is worth millions of dollars. Some Michigan residents make their entire living breeding and selling non-native snakes. Our pet stores make money selling supplies to reptile owners, and many reptile owners build their cages and equipment from supplies purchased at hardware stores. Attacking any industry is foolish at any time, and attacking when the economy is struggling is doubly foolish. Maybe improvements could be made in the pet trade, but those improvements depend on pet owners being able to trust in the good faith of the other side. We see no evidence of good faith in the proponents of this legislation, and now is not the time to impose difficulties on any industry.

This bill has no justification. I'm asking you to vote against this bill and to ask other members of the Michigan delegation to do the same.

Sincerely,

(your name here.)

Kristina

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I just want to point out that all of you that breed tortoises would no longer be able to do so if this bill passes. I am trying to get as many people as possible to read the bill, look at the information and try to help stop it.

Kristina

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Please do go to the link Kristina posted, fill out your name and address and send an email off. Also look up your rep's phone number and call (daily), this time it's serious. There have been a ton of other bills but this has the potential to really shut the industry down, which is what HSUS and PETA are aiming for.
It truly is a dangerous piece of legislation for us all and now is not the time to sit back and not take part in the government process that is in place for you, the people. Make your voice heard.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
This bill terrifies me. The people backing it DO have the money and power to see it through, and that is why it is so dangerous. It is a huge freedom that the government is trying to take away here. It is amazing that hamsters, parakeets, betta fish, angel fish, all tortoises and turtles not native to the U.S. (most of the native ones are banned from being kept or bred already) snakes, EVERYTHING, falls under the blanket statement this bill is making. If this was purely an INVASIVE species move, I would be all for it. How many of our pet tortoises are invasive???? Hamsters?

This is not something to set back and just watch on. We have to be involved, for the love of our pets.

Kristina

richalisoviejo

5 Year Member
I think its important people sign the petition but like egyptiandan said in the other thread, I don’t believe this bill will pass. No way, no how. And Kyryah your letter was very well written IMO.

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Upstate NY
This one very may well pass. There are always bills out there to ban the big snakes and the big money groups are backing them (HSUS and PETA). It is their stated goal to end ALL pet ownership!! ALL. Dogs and cats too. They mean business and they do have the funds to keep at it. They know they can't just up and put a bill forth to get what they want immediately so they are starting 'small'. Every time a bill gets defeated they re-write a new one, using and twisting all the data/support that was submitted to defeat it...they will not rest until they get their way. Every time something unfortunate happens and makes the news they get more support (the latest being the chimp).
There are 13 Rep's that are solidly behind this, 13 out of 22 that will be the review committee. Once it passes them, which it probably will, it goes to the full vote process and is heavily backed by the Dem's. If it goes along party lines, which these things tend to since no one really looks at them, it's going to the Senate. The Senate will vote along party lines...Dem's again! Then it goes to the President, who just happens to be a Democrat.
The bill is pretending to be an invasive species/protect the environment bill but it clearly isn't. It's step 1 to end ALL pet ownership! Some of the Rep's who are responding to letters and emails are referring to it as an 'invasive' act...they have been sold a line and bought it. There is a huge difference between invasive and non-native!!
Read it carefully, there are 3 "lists"; one is approved pets that has a handful of animals listed (dogs, cats, cattle, horses, ducks, geese etc.), one is the unapproved list that also has a handful of animals on it (the ones already banned under the Lacey act) and then there is everything else that is not native to the U.S. Every animal will have to be approved or not...and if they make neither list they automatically default to unapproved and are automatically illegal to breed/sell/trade/transport. There is no way they can all be studied and have proper decisions made, that would take years and years and years so they will default to unapproved.
Those of you who have rescues that you are trying to re-home will not be able to. Those of you who breed and sell will not be able to. Those of you who have accidental clutches will be breaking the law. Those of you who want to move to another state won't be able to take your pets with you. Your current pets will be grandfathered in but you can get no more and you can't breed them. If you happen to have something besides a tortoise that requires a food that is non-native you actually may not be able to FEED it.
It is a poorly written bill that is too far reaching and is gaining political momentum. Even if this one is shot down there will be another right on it's heels. We have come to the point where we must stand up and act against every one of these bills in massive numbers with a huge, loud voice or we will simply lose our ability to keep our pets.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
1. I think this bill has a fighting chance. It is fueled by emotions, and backed by names and money.

2. I am afraid that most of the things I have seen fighting this bill are... less than effective. The letter mentioned earlier, for example, is full of vague statements, boilerplate arguments, and classic knee-jerk reactions.

3. Remember- letters are best, then phone calls, and emails. Little attention is paid to on-line petitions- no way to verify any of the signatures. Also remember- 99%+ of the letters, calls, and emails will be recorded as simply 'pro' or 'con', so keep them short and to the point.

4. Look at the big picture. Invasive species have already done billions of dollars in damage in the US. It may be a case of too little too late, but something needs to be done, and existing policies are not doing it. Suggesting that we throw away the future ecosystem of the US because it might hurt a few people in the exotics trade is not looking at the big picture.

I am seeing a lot of angry people on several forums- but there is not a unified, well-done voice yet. Why would congress listen to a bunch of little groups with obvious bias, who do something that really does not further the cause of the US and that many Americans think is a little weird?

We need to find big names who are fighting this, like the AZA, and get behind them. The bill is being promoted with money and big names- we need to fight it, at least in part, the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.