WARNING- HR6311 Reintroduced as HR669- BAN ON BOAS & PYTHONS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
Folks don't think this can't effect you if you don't keep these species, if they pass this your species of interest could be next. Think about it.

Below you will read a press release by the most powerful Animal Rights Group on the planet. As predicted by USARK, HR6311 has been reintroduced as HR 669. If passed as written this bill will BAN the import, purchase, sale, trade and breeding of many, many reptiles and amphibians.... including Boa, Python and Eunectes. If this bill passes it will destroy the reptile community and industry overnight! PLEASE JOIN USARK IN FIGHTING HR669!!!

SIGN THE PETITION AGAINST HR669
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/usarkHR6311/index.html

***SEND THIS ALERT TO EVERYONE ON YOUR EMAIL LIST!!!

Stand by for USARK's Campaign to defeat HR 669.

http://www.hsus.org/press_and_publi...tic_animal_importation_introduced_012709.html

Congresswoman Bordallo Introduces Bill to Protect People and Native Wildlife by Addressing Exotic Animal Importation

January 27, 2009

The Humane Society of the United States and Humane Society International welcomed the introduction yesterday of the Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act (H.R. 669) in the U.S. House of Representatives by Congresswoman Madeleine Z. Bordallo (D-Guam).

The bill is designed to prevent the introduction and establishment in the United States of nonnative wildlife species that may harm the economy, the environment, human health or native wildlife. H.R. 669 would require the federal government to assess the risk of nonnative wildlife species proposed for importation and, with public input, decide if the importation of these animals should be allowed or prohibited.

"Each year, millions of wild animals are captured overseas and imported into the United States," said Michael Markarian, executive vice president of The HSUS. "This trade results in the suffering and death of large numbers of animals, poses unnecessary risks to public health and jeopardizes native wildlife populations here and abroad. We are grateful to Congresswoman Bordallo for working to address this global problem."

Imported wild animals may escape or may be let loose by owners who cannot properly care for them. These animals sometimes die from starvation, predation or exposure. Sometimes, however, they thrive — putting people, domestic pets and native wildlife at risk.

Facts

* Under current regulations, the Fish and Wildlife Service can declare species "injurious," making it illegal to import these animals or sell them over state lines as pets. However, this process typically takes years to complete and occurs after species are established, when eradicating them can be expensive, inhumane and nearly impossible.
* Congresswoman Bordallo represents the island of Guam, where brown tree snakes accidentally introduced after World War II have decimated native bird and lizard populations.
* According to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, in 2005 the United States imported the following numbers of live, wild animals: nearly 88,000 mammals; 259,000 birds; more than 1 million reptiles; more than 5 million amphibians and more than 200 million fish.
* The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora aims to ensure sustainability and humane treatment in the international wildlife trade, but many species are not covered and even covered species may be harmed by trade.

richalisoviejo

5 Year Member
JustAnja said:
Folks don't think this can't effect you if you don't keep these species, if they pass this your species of interest could be next. Think about it.

Below you will read a press release by the most powerful Animal Rights Group on the planet. As predicted by USARK, HR6311 has been reintroduced as HR 669. If passed as written this bill will BAN the import, purchase, sale, trade and breeding of many, many reptiles and amphibians.... including Boa, Python and Eunectes. If this bill passes it will destroy the reptile community and industry overnight! PLEASE JOIN USARK IN FIGHTING HR669!!!

SIGN THE PETITION AGAINST HR669
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/usarkHR6311/index.html

***SEND THIS ALERT TO EVERYONE ON YOUR EMAIL LIST!!!

Stand by for USARK's Campaign to defeat HR 669.

http://www.hsus.org/press_and_publi...tic_animal_importation_introduced_012709.html

Congresswoman Bordallo Introduces Bill to Protect People and Native Wildlife by Addressing Exotic Animal Importation

January 27, 2009

The Humane Society of the United States and Humane Society International welcomed the introduction yesterday of the Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act (H.R. 669) in the U.S. House of Representatives by Congresswoman Madeleine Z. Bordallo (D-Guam).

The bill is designed to prevent the introduction and establishment in the United States of nonnative wildlife species that may harm the economy, the environment, human health or native wildlife. H.R. 669 would require the federal government to assess the risk of nonnative wildlife species proposed for importation and, with public input, decide if the importation of these animals should be allowed or prohibited.

"Each year, millions of wild animals are captured overseas and imported into the United States," said Michael Markarian, executive vice president of The HSUS. "This trade results in the suffering and death of large numbers of animals, poses unnecessary risks to public health and jeopardizes native wildlife populations here and abroad. We are grateful to Congresswoman Bordallo for working to address this global problem."

Imported wild animals may escape or may be let loose by owners who cannot properly care for them. These animals sometimes die from starvation, predation or exposure. Sometimes, however, they thrive — putting people, domestic pets and native wildlife at risk.

Facts

* Under current regulations, the Fish and Wildlife Service can declare species "injurious," making it illegal to import these animals or sell them over state lines as pets. However, this process typically takes years to complete and occurs after species are established, when eradicating them can be expensive, inhumane and nearly impossible.
* Congresswoman Bordallo represents the island of Guam, where brown tree snakes accidentally introduced after World War II have decimated native bird and lizard populations.
* According to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, in 2005 the United States imported the following numbers of live, wild animals: nearly 88,000 mammals; 259,000 birds; more than 1 million reptiles; more than 5 million amphibians and more than 200 million fish.
* The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora aims to ensure sustainability and humane treatment in the international wildlife trade, but many species are not covered and even covered species may be harmed by trade.

I signed the petition also the link below list the email address of your state legislators. I’ll be sending mine an email, would suggest others do the same.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/memberemail/Default.aspx

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Remember: on-line petitions are not as powerful as emails, and emails are not as powerful as letters. If you want to make your voice count- write soon!

As for me... I think I support this bill. I know what it may mean to my tortoises, but I also know about the environmental havoc wrought by invasive species. We should have done something like this decades ago! A quick Google search for 'invasive species' shows what has happened. Even our fairly innocent turtles and tortoises have contributed to the problem (such as Red-ear Sliders in nearly every waterway in the world- out-competing native species in many places, and carrying disease to native Desert Tortoises.)

If people like us on forums like this are not part of a fair and equitable solution, we may as well be part of the problem. I think a smarter response from us would be to help create lists of APPROVED CHELONIANS (and why), and help making sure that there is a good process for exceptions.

Instead of the classic knee-jerk "NO &#^%@'ING WAY' response that most people have to most laws that may touch on them, I suggest we calmly sit down and come up with a rational, fair, effective, and thought-through answer.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Well the bill is just not well written and will never work. They want Fish and Wildlife to go over every species that is being imported and do studies or look up studies already done for each species. That in and of itself will take forever and the bill lists ony a certain period of time.
So say this passes, and they are able to do a few species in the time period as exemptions. It will take over 20 years, if not much longer, to keep adding species to the exemption list. By that time no one will be breeding anything.
Also what will live and breed in say Florida, will not live and breed here in Massachusetts. You can't just blanket the country, it's to big.
If individual states want to do this, I'd be all for that.
All in all it would be a bad law, so I agree with the knee jerk reaction of saying no way, no how.

Danny

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I signed the petition, I am not going to list all of my reasons as I'll be here all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.