please help? need info and good advise!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lstrayer92

5 Year Member
hey everyone! its been a while since ive been on the forum. turk and i are doing great, hes such a bundle of joy!

but to get to the point of this post, i wanted to build a custom indoor enclosure and im not to smart when it comes to carpentry or anything like that so im having a friend build it for me. anyway i was wondering what you guys thing would be the best type of layout would be (2 floors, only one). and also what the dimensions should be, i read online that a 2ft by 4ft is like the general size? and how high i should make the walls i also read around 9 to 10 inches so i can have 3 inches of subtrate.. i have a full grown male russian and just want some ideas and feed back on how i can make the best home for my little guy. thanks guys!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
2'x4' is not nearly large enough for an adult russian tortoise. The smallest I would go is 4'x8'

Lasciels Toy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Lstrayer92 said:
hey everyone! its been a while since ive been on the forum. turk and i are doing great, hes such a bundle of joy!

but to get to the point of this post, i wanted to build a custom indoor enclosure and im not to smart when it comes to carpentry or anything like that so im having a friend build it for me. anyway i was wondering what you guys thing would be the best type of layout would be (2 floors, only one). and also what the dimensions should be, i read online that a 2ft by 4ft is like the general size? and how high i should make the walls i also read around 9 to 10 inches so i can have 3 inches of subtrate.. i have a full grown male russian and just want some ideas and feed back on how i can make the best home for my little guy. thanks guys!!!

The bare minimum I've seen on average is 4'x4' but then again I see people using 50 gal totes which are only like 2'x4' or smaller or cheap bookcases which are like 2.5'x6' on average. I was able to put together a 2.5'x4' but the second floor makes up for the lose and brings it to 4'x4.5'. I'll try to link the topic below. Anywho, the "(2 floors, only 1)" part is confusing me. Do you mean you just want 1 floor? Gonna tell you the easiest thing is to do is work your measurements around 4' intervals for a base so you can use 3/4" ply and save some money. Four instance, with 2 sheets of ply, you can make a 4'x8' enclosure with 16" walls. $40 and it'll be sturdier then any $30 chain store bookshelf you'll find.

Oh, as for walls, average per one I have read: minimum of 12" but you need overhanging cap if it's that low, as you're gonna lose a couple of inches when you add the substrate.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-66912.html

Status
Not open for further replies.