Please Help Me (need Russian info, please)

LindseyP

Location (City and/or State)
Idaho
Can any
P.S. Tom and I are really at odds about vets. They're just like human M.D.s ...if they don't have any real experience working w/ people, of course they're terrible! But if they DO work with people, they're literally a lifesaver to see for both preventative and acute (sick/injured) care! And both ARE important.

Unfortunately, vets are not monitored for their true expertise the way human docs are, so you have to do a bit of homework.... Google your local Herpatology Society group. Email or call and see if you can get in touch with someone who can personally recommend a competent tort vet. Another possible resource could be a tortoise rescue group. (If you can't locate one, let us know. We may be able to help you.)

Once you've found one, (or esp if you can't find one already referred), feel free to call their office and ask them to call back, as you're looking for a new vet. Then when they call back, ask them about their experience with Russian torts. I know I have quizzed vets before, asking as if I didn't know ...to see if they actually did!
-"What can they eat?" [LOOK AT THE INFO YOU'VE GOTTEN HERE]
-"Do they need special lighting?" [YES, BASKING AND TUBE UVB LIGHTS.]
-"Can I use those coiled/ compact UVB bulbs?" [DEFINITE NO! HURTS THEIR EYES.]
-"Do they need a water bowl?" [YES--THEY DON'T GET ENOUGH WATER FROM THEIR FOOD ALONE!]
-Etc. (Any other quiz questions you can think of.)

If they answer incorrectly, just politely say, "THANKS" and RUN!

I’m having trouble finding a vet. Is there any way you could help me please?

LindseyP

Idaho
P.S. Tom and I are really at odds about vets. They're just like human M.D.s ...if they don't have any real experience working w/ people, of course they're terrible! But if they DO work with people, they're literally a lifesaver to see for both preventative and acute (sick/injured) care! And both ARE important.

Unfortunately, vets are not monitored for their true expertise the way human docs are, so you have to do a bit of homework.... Google your local Herpatology Society group. Email or call and see if you can get in touch with someone who can personally recommend a competent tort vet. Another possible resource could be a tortoise rescue group. (If you can't locate one, let us know. We may be able to help you.)

Once you've found one, (or esp if you can't find one already referred), feel free to call their office and ask them to call back, as you're looking for a new vet. Then when they call back, ask them about their experience with Russian torts. I know I have quizzed vets before, asking as if I didn't know ...to see if they actually did!
-"What can they eat?" [LOOK AT THE INFO YOU'VE GOTTEN HERE]
-"Do they need special lighting?" [YES, BASKING AND TUBE UVB LIGHTS.]
-"Can I use those coiled/ compact UVB bulbs?" [DEFINITE NO! HURTS THEIR EYES.]
-"Do they need a water bowl?" [YES--THEY DON'T GET ENOUGH WATER FROM THEIR FOOD ALONE!]
-Etc. (Any other quiz questions you can think of.)

If they answer incorrectly, just politely say, "THANKS" and RUN!

I really need help finding a vet. He hasn’t had a check up since we’ve had him yet.

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
Does anyone know where I can get a bigger tank from?
You can't usually find a tank big enough for him. You can either build one for him (like what I did) or get a large used bookshelf and flip it over. Outside enclosures are also very nice because you do not need a UVB bulb, u can grow food easily in their enclosure, and you can build a larger one outside. What I do is I have a smaller 6 by 3-foot indoor tortoise table for the cold, storms, and I bring them inside to sleep every night and a large 32 by 10-foot outdoor enclosure. Your enclosure does not need to be this big though, 8 by 8 or 10 by 10 works great.

LindseyP

Idaho
You can't usually find a tank big enough for him. You can either build one for him (like what I did) or get a large used bookshelf and flip it over. Outside enclosures are also very nice because you do not need a UVB bulb, u can grow food easily in their enclosure, and you can build a larger one outside. What I do is I have a smaller 6 by 3-foot indoor tortoise table for the cold, storms, and I bring them inside to sleep every night and a large 32 by 10-foot outdoor enclosure. Your enclosure does not need to be this big though, 8 by 8 or 10 by 10 works great.

Thank you!

Coraleaf0

Washinton
That's a fine boy! (He has a thick longer tail and a "v" shape in the shell by the tail.

I don't know how you measured, but 9 inches is HUGE for a male Russie. Typically females run 6-8 inches, and males tend to run smaller.

Because it is hard to find good, safe weeds, store bought is often needed.
1.) Zoo Med Grassland tortoise pellets: Soak them in water until they're soft (mushy)--I do about 5 pellets in a tiny hamster feeding bowl w/ enough water to cover them till they soak it all in (takes 10-15 mins usually).
2.) Escarole and Endive are great main things to supplement the pellets. I get fresh bunches at Cub Foods (though not all locations seem to have it so check around).
3.) Plus add one or two of these per feeding (be sure to alternate between for good nutrition): radicchio, romaine, collard greens and chard (both sparingly), kale, dandelion greens.
4.) Fresh plants: check that tortoise table site in a post above, but unless you're SURE it's actually that correct plant and free of ALL pesticides, stick to clean, well-rinsed. Mostly, that means to grow your own--and away from where they might get sprayed accidentally or by a neighbor, or buy human food grade ones. Examples of easy plants to identify (do not use flower shop plants--they're likely to have pesticides): hibiscus (leaves and flowers), rose petals, gerbera daisy.
5.) Make sure 2x per week you are sprinkling food (a small pinch of each) with Reptivite and Calcium w/ D3.
6.) Keep soaking him (daily if possible about 15-20 min in lukewarm water--dont let it get cold) and keep his water bowl in his cage too. ***WATCH always FOR DEHYDRATION! Sunken eyes (they look flat, dull, tired), hard white urates in his pee (thick toothpaste-like and gritty), low energy and/or appetite. If you see signs of this, soak him in 1/2 carrot baby food + 1/2 mixture for 30 min daily until urates are back to a softer, "slimy" white texture.
7.) I do give Morla a TINY bit of fruit daily. It helps her poop. She will get a tiny piece of apple (thumbnail size, sliced about cardboard thickness so she doesn't choke) OR one blueberry, OR a like-sized (to the apple) slice of strawberry. When she's constipated (no poo in 1-2 days, she gets a like-sized slice of banana instead.

Make sure you have good UVB lighting, keep good temps and humidity, and never take her out of her cage without keeping your eyes on her EVERY second--they're faster than you think!

Make sure you find a good, tortoise-savvy vet *now* for Russian torts!!! Not all vets are the same and there are waaaaay too many that don't actually know anything about torts.

It's a good idea to find one now, before an emergency arises. It is also a good idea to even bring him in for an initial exam, complete with parasite and blood work (check liver and kidney function, as well as general health). This will get you established with your vet, and also give you a baseline to identify I'd there are any problems. (My Morla was a rescue from Petsmart. If I hadn't gotten her bloodwork done, I wouldn't have known she came with chronic kidney disease and she would have died bf I'd been able to do anything about it. Because I DO know, I make sure she's hydrated well and that helps her kidneys keep functioning as best they can.)

If you have any questions on what I said above, by all means, feel free to ask or private message me if you want.

View attachment 292127
(Morla sitting w/ me as I read.)

Enjoy and congrats on your new friend! if you have any questions, by all means feel free!
Hey, how do you manage to sit with Morla while reading without risking her pooping everywhere?

Coraleaf0

Washinton
Where must you live to be able to let them go outside? Like what climate?

Sa Ga

MN
Hey, how do you manage to sit with Morla while reading without risking her pooping everywhere?
I've learned her potty habits. She (and apparently a lot of torts) tends to go pee/poo right after I tube feed her hydration or in her daily soaks (she gets a brief one in the afternoon when I'd get home from work and rt after I tubed her, and a long one after her dinner at night).

Also, if u look at the pics, I always hold her on doggie pee pads and I fold it around her in a certain way so that the torrent of pee doesn't run right out. She sits quietly in her pad unless she goes. Then, if I don't hear it as she's going, she starts stirring around and I know.

Sa Ga

MN
20200315_235319.jpg Here you can see the top of the puppy pee pad, though she had decided she wanted to sit under me neck, so she'd moved up off the bottom portion.
20200420_005456.jpg Here she is napping, wrapped in an old pillowcase for warmth but you can see part of the puppy pad too.

Bogulius

Kaunas Lietuva
Last month I got a tortoise for my 14th birthday and I named him Michelangelo. But the funny thing is that the people at PetSmart told my mom that he was a testudo tortoise and I was so confused on why they would give us a pamphlet that was about Hermann, Greek, and Russian tortoises. But this month I looked up a testudo tortoise only to find out that testudo tortoises are a group of Hermann, Greek, and Russian tortoises. So, the people at PetSmart basically just told me that Michelangelo is a tortoise.? I looked up each tortoise and Michelangelo looks nothing like a Hermann or Greek tortoise so I’m pretty positive that he’s a Russian tortoise because he literally looks exactly like the pictures online.

Anyway, now for the questions:
- Can Russian tortoises eat fruit, if so how often?
- What foods can Russian tortoises not eat?
- Is it normal for Michelangelo to tuck in his head and front legs when he sleeps?
- Do Russian tortoises hibernate?
- It says everywhere that tortoises can’t have a lot of basically any veggie. So how often can I feed Michelangelo each veggie? Twice a week?
- Should I be worried that Michelangelo has never drunken out of his water dish but only drunken from his bathing dish?
- Should I keep the water dish in if he never drinks from it?
- Can anyone give me a weekly diet for a Russian tortoise?
- How big do Russian tortoises get?
- The people at PetSmart said he was a few weeks old but if he was a few weeks old why would they not know the exact date and I don’t think tortoises are as big as Michelangelo was when they are a few weeks. So my question is how big are Russian tortoises when they are a few weeks?
- Is there anything I need to do different for a tortoise that’s only a few months? ( if he is anyway)
- How can I tell what age Michelangelo is?
- How do I know what gender Michelangelo is?
- How often should I take Michelangelo to the vet?
- Is it normal if Michelangelo doesn’t eat for a few days?
- How often should he eat lettuce?

Thank you and any other advice would be much appreciated.?

View attachment 292114View attachment 292115
Hello for my a 1st timer 1 ap is very helpful for his diet just search (tortoise table) for his food and keep the water bowl the tortoise gets most of the water from food all the food problems will be answered by the ap ?