help? (feeding question)

marissab

I am going to adopt a Russian tortoise in 3 weeks, after I return to the country. But I have a few questions-

How often should I feed my tortoise and should I give him greens or tortoise food pellets every day?

Should the water dish be bigger than the food dish?

Do Russian tortoises bite people often?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
I am going to adopt a Russian tortoise in 3 weeks, after I return to the country. But I have a few questions-

How often should I feed my tortoise and should I give him greens or tortoise food pellets every day?

Should the water dish be bigger than the food dish?

Do Russian tortoises bite people often?
My tort is a Greek, but the care is pretty much the same as for Russians.
I find it best to provide enough food for the day, so that the tortoise can munch at it whenever it wants, they are grazers after all and won't overeat. Replace the food when necessary and to keep it fresh. if there's none left at the end of the day, it's not been given enough.
I prefer mostly fresh food and pellets as a treat or if Tidgy is off her food or i haven't got a suitable selection of fresh.
I don't use a food dish, a slate or piece of broken rough tile is good for a plate and it helps keep the beak filed too.
The water dish should be shallow, sunk into the substrate and big enough for the tortoise to soak in if it wants. Cheap terracotta plant saucers are ideal for this.
As I say, i don't keep Russians, but though they are aggressive to other torts, i don't think they are people chompers normally. Though there are exceptions, i expect, someone with more Russian experience should be along in a bit.
A very warm welcome to the forum. :)
It's good to see you doing some research first.

marissab

I have one more question. I was planning on using these three bulbs with my tortoise that I revcieved from a friend. Is this good for my future tortoise?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    636.9 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    656 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    675.3 KB · Views: 5

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
The first one is an infrared, I've never used them, torts see in UV, the other side of the visible spectrum and I have heard that sometimes a red light will cause a tort to eat its substrate, though i'm not sure this is always true.
The second one is an MVB (mercury vapour bulb) and is what i use. It provides heat, light and UVB, a good all rounder, though mine needs replacing every one to two years.
The third one is a coil bulb which can damage tortoises eyes and are also seemingly not so good at providing adequate UVB anyway. I wouldn't risk it. Ever.
Number two for me. :)

marissab

The first one is an infrared, I've never used them, torts see in UV, the other side of the visible spectrum and I have heard that sometimes a red light will cause a tort to eat its substrate, though i'm not sure this is always true.
The second one is an MVB (mercury vapour bulb) and is what i use. It provides heat, light and UVB, a good all rounder, though mine needs replacing every one to two years.
The third one is a coil bulb which can damage tortoises eyes and are also seemingly not so good at providing adequate UVB anyway. I wouldn't risk it. Ever.
Number two for me. :)

Will I need any other lighting?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I don't use anything else though Tidgy gets plenty of real sunshine as well for most of the year.
This is best of course.
At night, in the few cold weeks here, I use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) that provides heat but no light, as tortoises need total darkness to sleep properly.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Where do you live, Marissa, and will your tortoise be inside or outside? That will help us advise you on temperatures/heating bulbs.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome marissab.

The answers to all of your questions are in those links that Tidgy's Dad posted for you. We are happy to answer questions all day, but it will save everyone some time if you read those threads first. They explain everything you need to do with heating, lighting, food and water bowls, temperatures, UV, etc...

turdle yerdle

IL
I have one more question. I was planning on using these three bulbs with my tortoise that I received from a friend. Is this good for my future tortoise?
I wouldn't use the coil bulb people say that those may damage the tortoises eyes. I use the zoo med 10.0 ReptiSUn UVB bulb and the Zoo med 100 watt basking light attached to a light dimmer so I can adjust the temperature.

turdle yerdle

IL
My tortoise bit me on accident when I was hand feeding, but they would never bite otherwise; unless it's temperamental.