Please help me anyone? Idk whats wrong with my turtle its a musk turtle and it has had no problems in 5 years

D1nosaurpizza

Location (City and/or State)
Ocala Fl
He was found in our tank on his back and hes barely breathing and completely limp and he wakes up for couple seconds and moves his head every hour or so, i put him on a towel and i have put him in the sun as well as in some 1\2 gatorade and half warm water for electrolytes idk how much longer he has left or what to do please help and i cant see a vet my parents dont have enough money

Attachments

• 1000004846.jpg
    1000004846.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6

D1nosaurpizza

Ocala Fl
He was found in our tank on his back and hes barely breathing and completely limp and he wakes up for couple seconds and moves his head every hour or so, i put him on a towel and i have put him in the sun as well as in some 1\2 gatorade and half warm water for electrolytes idk how much longer he has left or what to do please help and i cant see a vet my parents dont have enough money and he is a musk turtle.

D1nosaurpizza

Ocala Fl
Ok he is back inside, I don't know if he is still alive, he only opens his mouth every so often if I mess with him

D1nosaurpizza

Ocala Fl
I have another turtle same species and no problems
1000004852.jpg

Attachments

• 20230804_164004.jpg
    20230804_164004.jpg
    783.8 KB · Views: 2

zovick

10 Year Member!
Does the turtle always look as bloated as in the picture you posted? Bloating like that could be a sign of kidney failure.

Also its eyes look as though they are bulging out of its skull. Do they always look like that?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are both turtles in that one tank?
It's actually to small for one, left a lone two.
I'm suspecting possible stress and/or bullying. Not sure if two turtles can live together without bullying. However, in to small a tank, it can be stressful and possible.
See what the others say.

D1nosaurpizza

Ocala Fl
Are both turtles in that one tank?
It's actually to small for one, left a lone two.
I'm suspecting possible stress and/or bullying. Not sure if two turtles can live together without bullying. However, in to small a tank, it can be stressful and possible.
See what the others say.
40gallon tank, and yes they both are. If they were fighting what do you think is wrong with my turtle

D1nosaurpizza

Ocala Fl
Does the turtle always look as bloated as in the picture you posted? Bloating like that could be a sign of kidney failure.

Also its eyes look as though they are bulging out of its skull. Do they always look like that?
They do not always look like that and the bloating, I'm not sure because they are not very social and they hide very often and are not super friendly

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The water doesn't look deep enough for him to have been able to right himself. If he was on his back for any length of time he may have water in his lungs. Set him up so his head is lower than his tail to help the water to drain out.

D1nosaurpizza

Ocala Fl
The water doesn't look deep enough for him to have been able to right himself. If he was on his back for any length of time he may have water in his lungs. Set him up so his head is lower than his tail to help the water to drain out.

Attachments

• 20230804_173117.jpg
    20230804_173117.jpg
    774.6 KB · Views: 4

D1nosaurpizza

Ocala Fl
Drips of water are slowly coming out of his nose is this good?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Keep him warm, separated from the other turtle, and lying on a slope with his. head lower than his tail end so that water drains from his nose easily. We understand what you're going through and hope he will recover. Sometimes they do, given time.