Common Musk Turtle

ladyvalkyrie

Location (City and/or State)
Fort Sill, Oklahoma
My Artemis is my first shelled baby, and will always be close to my heart. As such, he worries the heck out of me. There's several reasons for this.

1) Okay so technically he's not mine. I'm "Turtle Sitting" for an undetermined amount of time. Basically my best friend's family found him when he was a hatchling wandering in a local park. They took him home and stuck him in a metal bowl. Fast forward 8 years later, and her parents threatened to release him because they didn't want him anymore. Best friend was very upset by this, and knowing I love turtles and torts, she asked me to take him in.

He grew up in his metal bowl with nowhere to hide. Best friend said she tried setting up a basking area but since he's a mud turtle he had no interest in that. They only fed him Reptomin though. When I took custody of him, best friend said his shell had been peeling. Upon having a local reptile store look at him, they said it was because he lacked calcium. I had already bought a light and river shrimp to feed him, and they recommended Vitashell to help. I've had him about a month and the peeling stopped. What worries me about this is that I'm worried it will hurt his lifespan and quality of life since 8 years is a long time. What is y'all's opinion on this?

2) His shell. While the peeling stopped, he's growing a whole new shell. When I got him, his shell was silvery in color, which I assume was from his bowl. He's now losing several layers, and I hope it's not shell rot, but it's not white in color or anything. It's actually growing back in the greenish brown of his species. I assume this is from the better living conditions, but it's really intense. I'd take a picture BUT

3) He's become anti social. I took him home July 4. He's had a lot of changes in his habitat since then. But as of two weeks ago it's settled down as I've gotten it where I want it. Some nights he bumps around the tub a lot, but the past two days he's been in his hidey hut. Most the time he pokes his head out but I've barely seen him for two days. Best friend also said he likes his shell scrubbed, but last time he tried to bite me, which marks the first time he's done it since I've brought him home. I'm grateful I noticed and moved my finger...I've heard musk bites hurt A LOT. He's also been on a road trip to Oklahoma- about a 7 hour drive each way. He actually handled it like a champ and seemed to enjoy it, but I'm worried it had lasting damage on his psyche.

What do y'all think? Am I worrying too much? Should I take him to a vet? I'll try to fish him out to take pictures, but I don't want to put undue stress on him.

ladyvalkyrie

Fort Sill, Oklahoma
I also forgot to mention he hides his tail a lot. Before I bought the light, the first time I put him in warm water there was some shedding skin and his tail came out, and since I've had the lights running on him his tail flaps around but he hides it most of the time. photo.jpg photo.jpg

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Musks are not particularly friendly. I wouldn't handle more than necessary, quit the vitashell & don't expect basking even though a space is available. Try bottom feeding. Mine liked worms.

Don't worry about his psyche. Just take care of his physical needs.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
He looks pretty good now. Bit of a shyerish turtle. The peeling is fine, he was shedding Years and years worth of shedding. And fresh meat (cooked lol) too, they really like that.

ladyvalkyrie

Fort Sill, Oklahoma
Hmm, I'll definitely try the fresh meat for him. He loves his river shrimp with a passion. I'll stop with the Vitashell now that I know this is normal. Thank y'all so much, I feel much better.