Please Help in ID this Vege Which one is Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

milky

5 Year Member
img0293b.jpg

By dannylak23, shot with Canon EOS 7D at 2009-11-19

img0294wk.jpg

By dannylak23, shot with Canon EOS 7D at 2009-11-19

To All Tortoise's Lover can ID which one is good for my Star Tortoise?
I already numbered it in the picture.. please state which one...
many thanks

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seatac, Washington
I know number two is bok choy... I think that should be good in moderation. But dont quote me on that. I'm just trying my hand at id'ing. Number one kinda looks like arugula. 5 is definetly a lettuce, its a light colored lettuce which usually means only feed occasionally if not ever. I'm having trouble with the rest

milky

5 Year Member
reptylefreek said:
I know number two is bok choy... I think that should be good in moderation. But dont quote me on that. I'm just trying my hand at id'ing. Number one kinda looks like arugula. 5 is definetly a lettuce, its a light colored lettuce which usually means only feed occasionally if not ever. I'm having trouble with the rest

no2 is boy choy or siew pak choy?
spikethebest said:
wow i love this thread. i am always confused on veggies...

can someone with experience please assist!?

becoz vege naming i'm not very good at.. so i take picture so that i can give to my tortoise in a better way..

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
#2 is Bok Choy
#4 looks like a leaf of Romaine or Green Leaf Lettuce
#5 is Napa Cabbage

Not sure about the rest

Did you take the photos? Where did you get them? You could ask the place you bought them from what their names are, and even if they're in another language we'd at least have more to start with.

milky

5 Year Member
Kadaan said:
#2 is Bok Choy
#4 looks like a leaf of Romaine or Green Leaf Lettuce
#5 is Napa Cabbage

Not sure about the rest

Did you take the photos? Where did you get them? You could ask the place you bought them from what their names are, and even if they're in another language we'd at least have more to start with.

i took the pictures... @ my dad got it from wet market.. i dont think they know english name on the vege..
thanks for "ID"ing.. hheheh:D

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I don't think #1 is arugula based on the arugula I have seen that was bagged/labeled as such. I would never feed bok choy or anything in the cabbage family to my tort, but others would say that it is ok as a small part of the diet (I am rather conservative with his diet). I have looked up most of these oriental greens before and have not found any I would feed my tort on a regular basis (ie. I would not feed them unless I bought them for my family and then fed my tort a little bit). Lots of cabbages (too starchy and can cause goiter) or things that are high in oxalic acid.

milky-What is your Star's current diet? What other types of greens are available in your supermarket? What part of the world do you live in? Best wishes.

milky

5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
I don't think #1 is arugula based on the arugula I have seen that was bagged/labeled as such. I would never feed bok choy or anything in the cabbage family to my tort, but others would say that it is ok as a small part of the diet (I am rather conservative with his diet). I have looked up most of these oriental greens before and have not found any I would feed my tort on a regular basis (ie. I would not feed them unless I bought them for my family and then fed my tort a little bit). Lots of cabbages (too starchy and can cause goiter) or things that are high in oxalic acid.

milky-What is your Star's current diet? What other types of greens are available in your supermarket? What part of the world do you live in? Best wishes.

my Current star diet is #1 & #5, i live in Malaysia... hmmm almost any common greens i think..

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
milky said:
i took the pictures... @ my dad got it from wet market.. i dont think they know english name on the vege..

Ask him for the local name of them. We can try searching around the massive internet if we have something go on. I tried "what is this green thing with a white stalk" and it didn't give any helpful results :(

milky

5 Year Member
hmmm i try 1st.. while i;m trying hopefullly anyone can ID it for me.. is it best for my tort.. thanks

milky

5 Year Member
i asked already but they dont know any of them.. =(
what you guys usually feed on IStarTort ?

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
Thats strange they will sell them but they cant tell you the local name... that would concern me. Also if you dont know what it is I wouldn't feed it to them in large amounts until you know. Some of these could be harmful if fed on a regular basis over a long period of time.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I can't really say what all the pictures are you posted #1 kind of looks like Rapini, # 2 baby bok choy #s 3 & 4 possibly some type of lettuce,# 5 looks like a cabbage, #6 no clue # 7 sort of looks like spinach with the red stem or a young red kale? Bottom line is I just am not sure. However here is what I found about feeding Stars;
I did a little research and found that Indian, Sri Lankan, and Burmese Star tortoises have the same care and dietary requirements.
• In general, at least 90% of a Star tortoise's diet should consist of fiber-rich grasses and greens.
• mixed grasses, dark greens, weeds, coarse leaves, and succulents should make the bulk of a Star tortoise's diet
• grasses – such as Bermuda, bluegrass, fescue, kikuyu, timothy
• weeds - such as . clover, chickweed, dandelion, mallow, plantain
• leaves - such as . grape, mulberry, strawberry
• succulents such as . Opuntia cactus despined, sedum
• flowers - such as hibiscus, petunia, pansy, nasturtium, rose petals
• market foods - do not feed exclusively, as a supplement only, ideally organic; e.g. chicory, endive, escarole, radicchio, squash, spring mix salads without spinach, and dandelion greens;
• a diverse diet is most important, feed a variety of food items, rotate and/or mix foods
Feeding excessive fruit or 'soft' foods frequently leads to repeated flagellate and other gut problems such as colic, most probably as a result of increased gut motility.
Hope this helps some.

Info from:
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/care/celegans.html
http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/Geleganscare.htm
www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-startortoise.htm
http://startortoises.net/links.html excellent list of plants at bottom of page.

milky

5 Year Member
ic.. will try to look for it.. btw will a 2" SCL IStar eat alot?

Status
Not open for further replies.