new to sulcata raising

Status
Not open for further replies.

mischelle_99

5 Year Member
I am new to all this. We have a baby sulcata. It is approx. 2in. I would really appreciate any help, tips, or info that anyone has. We call him / her "Squirt". I just refer to "him" for now until finding out the sex further down the road. We keep him in a 20L glass tank. Substrate is crushed walnut shells (not happy with this but this is what the pet store recommended). Lighting is clamp on heat lamp that just sits on top of screen and long UV light that sits on top of screen. There is an under tank heater on one side of tank where his cave is at. He is soaked in water once per week, fed once or twice per day, does not seem to drink much but is offered it several times. He will not eat the tortoise pellets that the pet store sold us. We have tried several different thing and this what he seems to eat the most of... broccoli, alfalfa sprouts, carrots, tomato, he used to really like mulberry leaves but has no interest now. I am giving him Rep-Cal Phosphorous free calcium with vit.d and also Rep-Cal Herptivite with beta carotene Multivitamins sprinkled on food every few days. Could you guys please tell me about your daily / weekly routines? Feel free to criticize any and all things that we are doing wrong.

I already have figured out by reading on here that I am giving him all the wrong foods.

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

dannomite

5 Year Member
http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-6570.html

If you read the responses on those posts it should answer some of your questions. You need a much bigger enclosure. Soak every day not just once a week. I don't think the Substrate is very good either. The food you are feeding is not right as you suspected but my response on that thread URL should explain more.

The UV is important and so is the temperature but make sure it doesn't get too hot, use a digital thermometer to get accurate temp readings.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Glad your not happy with the substrate :p That should be changed to either a soil/coir and sand mix (70/30 mix) or shredded aspen.
I would also attach your UV light to the inside of your cover, as the cover is filtering out some of the UV.
I'd also get rid of the under tank heater. The heat for basking is best to come from the top. Extra heat isn't need at this time of year at night.
Glad your planning on changing his diet. :D

Danny

mischelle_99

5 Year Member
dannomite said:
http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-6570.html

If you read the responses on those posts it should answer some of your questions. You need a much bigger enclosure. Soak every day not just once a week. I don't think the Substrate is very good either. The food you are feeding is not right as you suspected but my response on that thread URL should explain more.

The UV is important and so is the temperature but make sure it doesn't get too hot, use a digital thermometer to get accurate temp readings.

Thanks so much. I have printed out the info you provided and will be making the changes. :0)

egyptiandan said:
Glad your not happy with the substrate :p That should be changed to either a soil/coir and sand mix (70/30 mix) or shredded aspen.
I would also attach your UV light to the inside of your cover, as the cover is filtering out some of the UV.
I'd also get rid of the under tank heater. The heat for basking is best to come from the top. Extra heat isn't need at this time of year at night.

Danny

I put the extra heat pad in because my son's room is very cold (he likes it that way). If I had to guess, I would say 69 degrees.

I am not sure how I would attach the light to the inside cover because it is all lightweight screen. :0(

I am presently looking into a tortoise table.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
LOL i refer to my torts as he also until I know for sure, just my sexist side showing I guess.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
69F at night is just fine. :)

Danny

M

Maggie Cummings

Cypress mulch is the best and easiest substrate IMO. You need a humidity level of about 80% and can achieve that with cypress mulch. Stop feeding tomatoes or whatever is red in your picture. They are grazers and most of their food should be grasses and weeds. Babies don't like that menu however, so I always recommend packaged Spring Mix that you can get in the larger grocery stores, then you add dark leafy greens to that, like collards, kale, green leaf and red leaf lettuces, endive and I prowl my neighborhood and collect dandelions and other weeds and whatever blossoms I can find. Here's a link to a good care sheet I hope you will read it and make the changes you need to make...did I say welcome to the forum? Some of us may be fairly bossy...but you will enjoy it here and we will certainly help you with your tortoise...

http://africantortoise.com/

mischelle_99

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
Cypress mulch is the best and easiest substrate IMO. You need a humidity level of about 80% and can achieve that with cypress mulch. Stop feeding tomatoes or whatever is red in your picture. They are grazers and most of their food should be grasses and weeds. Babies don't like that menu however, so I always recommend packaged Spring Mix that you can get in the larger grocery stores, then you add dark leafy greens to that, like collards, kale, green leaf and red leaf lettuces, endive and I prowl my neighborhood and collect dandelions and other weeds and whatever blossoms I can find. Here's a link to a good care sheet I hope you will read it and make the changes you need to make...did I say welcome to the forum? Some of us may be fairly bossy...but you will enjoy it here and we will certainly help you with your tortoise...

http://africantortoise.com/

Thanks for the info. I don't mind bossy. I just want all the best info I can get. Gotta make Squirt happy :0)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the forum! I agree with everything above. Such a cute little guy! I love the name. Is it from Finding Nemo? Have you taken Squirt to the vet yet? Please start thinking about expanding the enclosure now (you can probably still return it and build a tort table or similar), and what you will do when he gets huge. Glass is not a great idea for many reasons--they can see out, temperature regulation, cost, a set size that is taller than you need typically and not enough floor space, etc.

Please take anything a pet store says with a grain of salt. Most of the time they just want to sell a lot of overpriced junk that many times is not healthy for the tort. The only prepared food I would personally recommend is Mazuri (as a supplement, not all the time), or maybe the Zoomed Grassland Tortoise food although I have not used it myself, as it has the most natural ingredients. Fresh food is really best. Now is the time to start having an organic yard full of tort yummies. I personally would ditch the D3 and only use pure calcium but do some research and see what you think (water vs. fat soluble vitamins; lots of discussion here already on that).

mischelle_99

5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
Welcome to the forum! I agree with everything above. Such a cute little guy! I love the name. Is it from Finding Nemo? Have you taken Squirt to the vet yet? Please start thinking about expanding the enclosure now (you can probably still return it and build a tort table or similar), and what you will do when he gets huge. Glass is not a great idea for many reasons--they can see out, temperature regulation, cost, a set size that is taller than you need typically and not enough floor space, etc.

Please take anything a pet store says with a grain of salt. Most of the time they just want to sell a lot of overpriced junk that many times is not healthy for the tort. The only prepared food I would personally recommend is Mazuri (as a supplement, not all the time), or maybe the Zoomed Grassland Tortoise food although I have not used it myself, as it has the most natural ingredients. Fresh food is really best. Now is the time to start having an organic yard full of tort yummies. I personally would ditch the D3 and only use pure calcium but do some research and see what you think (water vs. fat soluble vitamins; lots of discussion here already on that).

Thank you. Yes it is from Finding Nemo (I also have a Nemo clownfish and a Dori Blue Tang).

newtank004.jpg

4-1.jpg

I am already in the planning phase of the tort table.

What are some fast growing tort yummies that I can start indoors (it is very hot here in AZ right now)?

mischelle_99

5 Year Member
Where do I get the cypress mulch and what brand? Do I use 100% cypress mulch as substrate? Do I have to spray it with water periodically? Sorry... I'm completely clueless.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Michelle:

2006867h8eqihn82v.gif

to the forum!

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Hi Mischelle, welcome. you can pour a glass (or pitcher-depending on the size of your enclosure) of water on the cypress then just mix it up with your hand. The heat lamp will dry out the top layer so he can still burrow into the damp substrate and it will help keep the ambient humidity up. Can you remove the screen top and get a lamp stand to hang the florecent lamp onto? Also Check into an exotic Vet in your area. Hopefully you will not need one except for the occasional fecal test or checkup. I can not find the Cypress mulch at Home Depot or lowes but my Petco and Petsmart carries it. I am going to look into a nursery near me they also may have it at a better price. It is often used for planting Orchids. Do not get any that has peralite or vermiculite Just plane old Cypress mulch is what you want.
As Maggie said they are grazers and will need grasses but when they are babies they seem to prefer broad leaf plants here is another list of some plants that would be good for them. http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-5823.html Just remember no chemicals. If you buy a plant from a nursery if it is not organic you should wait at least 3 months before feeding it to him. Good luck. You seem to be on the right tract. Looking forward to seeing more pics of your little squirt and his new enclosure when you are ready to show us. Did we say we like "in construction" pics also :p

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
You can get cypress mulch at home improvement or garden stores. You would add water and mix it up periodically to keep it moist but not wet. Yes it needs to be 100% cypress, and is a great substrate that a lot of people here use (not me though). You don't want certain types of woods such as cedar and fir that are toxic. Best to get a 100% cypress than an unknown mix that could include the toxic woods (they have oils that harm torts).

You can grow all sorts of things indoors--grasses, weeds, broadleaf plants. Some websites sell seed mixes for specific breeds like Sulcatas. Hopefully someone has some specific recommendations or you can do a forum search for "sulcata seeds" or similar. You can grow them even in cat litter pans if it's not something with deep roots. Use organic potting mix. If they have shade they may still do ok outside. Even veggie seeds (except those in the nightshade family) are good as your tort can eat the leaves.

Great to hear you are planning a tort table. What are your ideas so far?

The Finding Nemo pets are awesome!

mischelle_99

5 Year Member
Crazy1 said:
Hi Mischelle, welcome. you can pour a glass (or pitcher-depending on the size of your enclosure) of water on the cypress then just mix it up with your hand. The heat lamp will dry out the top layer so he can still burrow into the damp substrate and it will help keep the ambient humidity up. Can you remove the screen top and get a lamp stand to hang the florecent lamp onto? Also Check into an exotic Vet in your area. Hopefully you will not need one except for the occasional fecal test or checkup. I can not find the Cypress mulch at Home Depot or lowes but my Petco and Petsmart carries it. I am going to look into a nursery near me they also may have it at a better price. It is often used for planting Orchids. Do not get any that has peralite or vermiculite Just plane old Cypress mulch is what you want.
As Maggie said they are grazers and will need grasses but when they are babies they seem to prefer broad leaf plants here is another list of some plants that would be good for them. http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-5823.html Just remember no chemicals. If you buy a plant from a nursery if it is not organic you should wait at least 3 months before feeding it to him. Good luck. You seem to be on the right tract. Looking forward to seeing more pics of your little squirt and his new enclosure when you are ready to show us. Did we say we like "in construction" pics also :p

Thanks for the info. Great plant list. I am planning on changing the light completely with the build of the tort table. I do take him out side everyday to get some natural sunlight. I feel like a bad Mom at the moment so I will wait on pics of the enclosure. I'll post a pic of his current setup when I have a pic to show his near future enclosure. I will post in construction pics as well.

tortoisenerd said:
You can get cypress mulch at home improvement or garden stores. You would add water and mix it up periodically to keep it moist but not wet. Yes it needs to be 100% cypress, and is a great substrate that a lot of people here use (not me though). You don't want certain types of woods such as cedar and fir that are toxic. Best to get a 100% cypress than an unknown mix that could include the toxic woods (they have oils that harm torts).

You can grow all sorts of things indoors--grasses, weeds, broadleaf plants. Some websites sell seed mixes for specific breeds like Sulcatas. Hopefully someone has some specific recommendations or you can do a forum search for "sulcata seeds" or similar. You can grow them even in cat litter pans if it's not something with deep roots. Use organic potting mix. If they have shade they may still do ok outside. Even veggie seeds (except those in the nightshade family) are good as your tort can eat the leaves.

Great to hear you are planning a tort table. What are your ideas so far?

The Finding Nemo pets are awesome!

I am planning on building one like they have on sulcata station (table 1). I am not entirely clear on the copyright issues. I have sent them a message and am waiting to hear back. Is the Zoo Med Forest Floor Bedding (100% cypress mulch) a good brand? Do I use only cypress mulch or do I mix it with something else is my question? I hope that I have not done too much damage with what I have been feeding in the past.

Thanks for the compliment on my Finding Nemo pets. My saltwater tank is another passion of mine. It's becoming a regular zoo around here... 2 dogs, 2 cats, fish and corals, and now my little Squirt :0)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
If it is 100% cypress mulch that is fine. I am sure someone will have a suggestion as to brands, but I haven't used it. Yes, that could be all of the substrate. You just pour it in, add water as necessary while mixing it up, and add the cage furnishings like hide areas, plants, water dish, place for food (I like a slate tile), etc.

I like to have the tort well out of the way whenever I move things around or deal with substrate. It does get a little messy, dusty, and can scare them. I have a travel size Rubbermaid container for my little guy so I can place him in it in the living room when I deal with his table, take him to the vet in it, or even put him out on my balcony to get supervised sun. I make sure all the lighting/heating is set up and the temperatures are ok before I put him back in.

You can build a table like you see online without any issues of copyright. Are you referring to being able to post a picture? You can always just post a link to it (like below); that is always ok. Posting the picture sometimes could not be so that is good you asked.

http://www.sulcata-station.org/table1.html

Looks cool!

I personally don't think too much damage could be done in a short amount of time--although the early years are vital, he's not too old yet. If that picture is current, his shell still looks good. The sooner you fix the diet and create a moist substrate environment (key to prevent pyramiding), the better though. That is great you want to improve. We will never criticize you for something if you are planning to improve it and are willing to take constructive criticism. Only if you say for example "this is my enclosure and I think it's perfect and I won't change it no matter what you all say" or something like that! We're pretty passionate here. :) Feel free to post whatever you are comfortable with. Let us know if we can help with anything else. Many of us have built tort tables, including me.

Finding Nemo is one of my favorite movies too.

spring pace

5 Year Member
topanga, california
egyptiandan said:

Danny

danny if aspen is a pine, then it shouldnt be used for hatchlings. pine has toxins that could really compromise the health of the tort. coir or orchid bark mixed w/ paysand is the best substrate a sulcata could have.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Aspen is not pine, nor is it an aromatic wood, it's a type of wood from the willow tree family. I use aspen for my tort. I know pine is bad and would never use it for substrate (my tort table is made of it but that's another story and we have a discussion going on that already). :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
spring pace said:
danny if aspen is a pine, then it shouldnt be used for hatchlings. pine has toxins that could really compromise the health of the tort. coir or orchid bark mixed w/ paysand is the best substrate a sulcata could have.

Aspen and pine are two completely separate things. Quite a few keepers of the Mediterranean tortoises keep them on aspen.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.