Help ID plant please, toxic??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Have been watching these plants for months/year now thinking it might be penstemon. Turns out it isn't. It grows low to the ground like a ground cover with no stems or flowers so far. It has a main single root like a dandelion. Has no particular fragrance. It has grown in a patch, but lately I have seen it growing individually also.

Please help me ID. Should I pull it out or feed it to my torts?

weed.jpg

I have already looked at the tortoisetable site and on here, and also on an Arizona weed site. ??? Probably something common but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Could it be Richardia (Mexican rough clover)? Look that up in images and see if your plant is there.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Edna said:
Could it be Richardia (Mexican rough clover)? Look that up in images and see if your plant is there.

I don't think so. The pics of Richardia look like the leaves might be somewhat fuzzy and one pic shows a longer stem growing upwards. The leaves on mine are smooth and I have never seen any long stems growing out of them. Thanks though. If you have any other ideas please let me know.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Joy, perhaps you can take a photo of the whole plant along with a cutting to your local nursery and see if they can id it for you? I have had to do this a couple of times with great success....good luck on your quest :D

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
ascott said:
Joy, perhaps you can take a photo of the whole plant along with a cutting to your local nursery and see if they can id it for you? I have had to do this a couple of times with great success....good luck on your quest :D

Angela I guess that is what I need to do. I can just pull out one plant and take it. They are only little things and grow side by side. They grew up right next to where we had planted some penstamon so for a long time that is what I thought they were.

Should have know they weren't penstemon though 'cause the rabbits leave them alone and eat the penstamon right next to them.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Plants are sneaky like that, masquerading as a desireable plant until it's time to flower. I use my county extension for plant ID sometimes.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Edna said:
Plants are sneaky like that, masquerading as a desireable plant until it's time to flower. I use my county extension for plant ID sometimes.

Yeah, I was so excited when I thought they were a bunch of penstamon, haha. County extension is a good idea.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
couldn't find anything on the county site either. Anyone in AZ ever see this growing in your area?

Status
Not open for further replies.