Plastic flaps for enclosure entry

nyejoshua

Does anyone have a good recommendation for where to get plastic flaps for the entry to my sulcata’s enclosure?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I buy mine from Home Depot. Then I cut them into strips and staple them up overlapping them. It's the plastic they sell on a role in a their flooring department. It doesn't have those pointy hard things on the one side. This is smooth on both sides and its clear.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
My husband works on restaurant coolers, fryers, grills, ect and got mine when he replaced some on a walk-in cooler.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Check out fabric stores or those “do it yourself” sections of large container stores like Lowe’s, Home Depot, sometimes Walmart will carry it as a carpet runner, but this typically has those pointed bumps all over one side to help keep it in place on a carpet. I used that on one of the first I made. I just grabbed a hammer with it on my smooth, clean, concrete, garage floor. With the bumpies pointin’ up, I pounded on them to, “dull” them down. It worked. After a while y’all will learn how much is needed for each one, and it goes by fairly fast.
Thinking the Cowboy way about this, I was thinking that if y’all have youngin’s skilled enough to use a hammer, pay them to do it. Heck, give them some iCash or whatever for them to use on their iPhone.
That one used with the bumps, was a “need something now situation”. It worked great for years. It never caused the tortoises any problems, and I would have been able to (insert sarcasm here) feel from them if it was an issue not just in feelings, but also by the looks one there faces (that was still sarcasm. <if you don’t know look it up. >)
Minus the posting in the middle of the “sarcasm section” all of the rest was true and useful information I too stapled mine to the wood. I used a separate piece of wood to staple the strips to then screwed the wood above the door opening, this allows me to adjust the height. Depending on how tall tortoise carapace is towards the front, you can make the plastic strips too long allowing as little air exchange as possible. If it’s too short, too much air exchange will take place.

Chicobeaks

5 Year Member
Go to a restaurant supply shop and get a couple of the pvc strips they use for walk in coolers. I have them on a couple of my hot houses and they work great. My tortoises stay warm in 30+ degree weather with those, a heater and a thermostat.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do a Google search for "vinyl strip door."

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
I went super cheap and just bought a thick, clear plastic shower curtain from Ross for $5. I made 3 layers and staggered the cuts so they overlapped.

I looked at buying a roll of floor liner at Home Depot, but didn’t need so much.

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
I went to home depot and bought the plastic floor strips to cover carpet without the spikes. I like the carpet mat idea the best and will probably replace mine with that since my guy has started to rip the plastic.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
My concern with the carpet fabric stuff would be that he can't SEE through it therefore he might not GO through it. Especially if you overlap it like you do the plastic stuff to maximize the effect of keeping the temperature inside separate from outside. I know Maro2bear's tort has figured it out but some tortoises are just stupid....

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Depends on the size of the tortoise (or rather the entry). If that's big enough I would get a transparent desk pad. Cheap and easy to work with.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
My concern with the carpet fabric stuff would be that he can't SEE through it therefore he might not GO through it. Especially if you overlap it like you do the plastic stuff to maximize the effect of keeping the temperature inside separate from outside. I know Maro2bear's tort has figured it out but some tortoises are just stupid....

Our Sully never had a problem... likes to play peek-a-boo...

98ADFBED-34DF-48F3-A580-3480662A7B2D.jpeg

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Our Sully never had a problem... likes to play peek-a-boo...

View attachment 233552
I know. That's what I said...but some torts are just plain dumb. One of my torts has no problem going up the ramp into her heated house every night. I have to go out and pick up the boy and put him in the heated house every evening. Every morning SHE opens it and goes out and wanders around ...he's just dumb.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I had one do that once that I saw. Not as a habit, just long enough for a picture. IMG_1521529587.196520.jpgIMG_1521529632.787623.jpgand what did this one get me to do in the snow? Yup, stand out in it while I watched the smoke drift from the wood-stove in the toasty, warm house where the couch lives in front of the TV. LOLView attachment 233573View attachment 233574

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
Ebay. There is a guy or gale that sells it for a dollar a foot with six dollars shipping. I've ordered four times from them. No problems