Plants for enclosure?

Nisi

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Do to advice from my post yesterday, what plants do I buy? I know some pet stores have reptile plants only. I am a bit nervous in adding the wrong plants, that he or she will eat and get sick or die on me. I looked at links, would someone be willing to just give me a list that I can buy?

Thanks

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I took a coupon to my craft store and bought a couple silk plants like Boston ferns and some ivy. They enjoy hiding under them. You just need to dig the stem down under the substrate.
I never used real plants.
I did plant seeds in two small frozen meal containers and rotated them out.
Those need to be even with the substrate too so the little guys don't flip.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
If you plant real plants in your enclosure, chances are they will be eaten up before they have a chance to grow much. Most people who want plants in their enclosure plant them in a tray and rotate them in once they are big enough. You can check the Tortoise table http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp to determine which plants are safe. Either plant from seed or obtain plants that haven't been treated with anything. Plants bought from a nursery need to be kept away from your tortoise for months until any chemicals have dissipated.

Nisi

New York
I was told by others that our enclosure was to open and we needed plants . So if we don't use plants what else can we put in there?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
You need to provide obstacles, things for him to walk around and hide in. They don't have to be plants. It will seem bigger and more interesting if he can't see all the way across.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Fake plants work great. Mine have never tried to eat them and they always hide under them.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You can have the plants in pots where the main base of the plant is protected, but leaves hanging over can give shelter and get nibbled on. Same goes for hanging pots. Airplane/spider plants are good for this.

The problem is real plants also need a higher amount of lighting then most folks can give, which is why many rotate (along with being eaten).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I buy the fake aquarium plants that have a heavy base and I bury the base in the substrate:

baby leopard enclosure 7-14-16.jpg

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Yvonne, looks like your guys are playing an exciting game of Leap Turtle.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
looks like you need to send a few of them to me.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Won't they maybe try to eat the fake plants? Are they plastic?