Planting Aloe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelli

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Antigua West Indies
I don't have a 'pup' to plant so would it be the same idea as cactus pads where you can cut some and let it heal over and then plant?

Jaba seems to dislike it anyway she had a couple of tastes of it & walked away something Jaba would never normally do until it was all gone if she liked it... but i'd like to plant some anyway so I'm not cutting at my landlords plants more than I have to.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I'm not sure about just cutting a piece. I have pulled up some small sprouts off the main stalks before and they grow nicely here in Houston. Mine will walk by and eat some of the plants, then not touch it for a while so I'm not sure if there is something about the taste that makes them not want it constantly.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
no aloe won't grow like cactus pads. You will need a shoot off of one, they grow abundantly in the spring or so.

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
Oww that's too bad.... I will try and feed her some more tomorrow (off the bit I was hoping to plant) but she wasn't loving it..
Greg when I first gave her cactus pad the first couple of times she loved it and now she wont touch that either...

B

barry.marksman

Aloe vera, also known as aloe vera or medicine, a kind of cactus plant, which is likely to come from the south side of the Arabian Peninsula, North Africa, the Canary Islands and Cape Verde. Aloe vera grows in arid climates and is widely in Africa, India and other arid regions.

russianhenry

5 Year Member
Texas
We have a ton of aloe vera growing all in our yard. we cant kill it lol. The little shoots will grow even against and thru the fence. Idk if that can ship but I would be more than happy to send u a ton. We cant get rid of it. Also it is humid here but doesnt rain all that much so they are really hardy plants.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Most people prefer to grow them indoors, under windows in pots. They like to keep the soil moist, with a little bit of fertilization once every few weeks, and with moderate lighting. They're real hardy plants and I doubt you'll have any trouble keeping them alive.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
russianhenry said:
We have a ton of aloe vera growing all in our yard. we cant kill it lol. The little shoots will grow even against and thru the fence. Idk if that can ship but I would be more than happy to send u a ton. We cant get rid of it. Also it is humid here but doesnt rain all that much so they are really hardy plants.
There should be no problem shipping the shoots, they won't die during shipping.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
wow 17 bucks for some I hope they send more than one.

Status
Not open for further replies.