Plant ID please help

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Rainy season is almost over here in my country and I've had a lot of weeds growing. Please help me identify the ones below.

Weed 01

Weed 02 (the one with cone shape flowers)

Weed 03 (this one is creeping weed)

Weed 04 (this one has tiny white & purple flower)

Thank you for helping.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I am sorry to be unable to help you directly with your weed identification. If you have a device that allows for the downloading of an app, an app that I find very useful is called, “The Garden Compass". With this app, you take a photo of the weed and submit it. In 24 hrs or so, they reply with an email giving you the name of the plant.
After I receive that information, I then submit the Latin name in the search engine of this website ; “ http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/plant_database_14.asp"
I have found it is best to submit the Latin name rather than the English name in that often times, “locals" may have a common name that is not indeed what the local population calls it 200 miles away.
I hope this will help you out.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Cowboy_Ken said:
I am sorry to be unable to help you directly with your weed identification. If you have a device that allows for the downloading of an app, an app that I find very useful is called, “The Garden Compass". With this app, you take a photo of the weed and submit it. In 24 hrs or so, they reply with an email giving you the name of the plant.
After I receive that information, I then submit the Latin name in the search engine of this website ; “ http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/plant_database_14.asp"
I have found it is best to submit the Latin name rather than the English name in that often times, “locals" may have a common name that is not indeed what the local population calls it 200 miles away.
I hope this will help you out.

Thank you very much Ken. That application looks really useful, as well as the tips. Unfortunately it is only for iOS and not android.

Is there any other who can help identify the weeds?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I'll save your pictures and submit them. I hope this works. What is your location. I like to give this to help narrow the search.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I've sent the pictures off to them.
On a side note, one of my best friends is from Jakarta. We have been friends for close to 20 yrs. maybe we won't see each other for 18-24 months, but we always know who we are. He was living at my house when he saw his first snow.
He is truly one of my loyalist friends and I'd probably trade 10 of the Americans who think they know me for him and still not come close to replacing him.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
AIR POTATO VINE (DIOSCOREA BULBIFERE)

ANSWER: March 31, 2014
This is a tropical vine that is native to Africa and Asia. It can grow 150 feet, and has become an invasive species in tropical climates such as Florida. Cultivated forms are eaten by humans, but wild forms can be poisonous to people (don't know about turtles).ImageUploadedByTortForum1396310683.324290.jpg

TortoiseTable had no record for this plant. English or Latin names.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Thanks a lot, Ken. That is really fast reply. I've found out weed no 2 as well, it is wild spinach, so should have some oxalic in it.
My torts actually like to eat them all, so far no side effect, but I should stop giving the air potato vine.

On side notes, we don't have too many Western nor American people here like in Singapore, but I've worked with some, and I should say that they are highly educated, polite and fun.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
When I sent the email, I advised them that this plant is in Indonesia and I was wanting to compare it as a food source for tortoises. This is the first time I've ever had them let me know that something is poisonous in their reply. And as I said before, tortoiseTable had zero food information.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Noted Ken. Not many people here are familiar with weeds and we don't have something like weed center for information. So any help is much appreciated.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Joseph laughs at me with my tortoises. When I first met him, I had 32 pair of breeding snakes. All were perfectly harmless, but he did no laughing then. He was very frightened of the snakes.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I just got this email from them.

DELAYED RESPONSE
Thank you for submitting your photo to Garden Compass for identification. We are working on your submission. We apologize to inform you that there will be a delay in our response beyond our normal 24 hour turnaround due to increased Worldwide volume of customers currently using the app. We are expanding our live, horticultural team to accommodate this increased usage. Our team of Expert Garden Advisers are working to give you the best feedback as quickly as possible. At this time, we estimate your response will arrive within 72 hours. We appreciate your patience and understanding. Each photo is viewed in detail by our team and nothing is automated in their answers and detailed care instructions.

You are position 118 in queue.

Thank you for being part of the Garden Compass family!

This is for numbers 1 and 4. The two pictures with the white wire type fencing in the picture.

We are half way there, Agus !

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
STUMPED

ANSWER: April 2, 2014
Sorry, but our panel of advisers hasn't been able to figure this out. Have your friend try a local nursery or garden center. And if you find out what this is, please let us know.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1396495738.422205.jpg

STUMPED

ANSWER: April 2, 2014
Sorry, but our panel of advisers hasn't been able to figure this out. Have your friend try a local nursery or garden center. And if you find out what this is, please let us know.

QUESTION:
Please identify this plant
THANK YOU
Thank you for downloading and using the Garden Compass App. We hope this information answers your question and solves your problem. If you liked your experience, please take a moment to leave a comment about our app todayImageUploadedByTortForum1396495857.722702.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Lol stumped. But anyway, it's not that simple to find weeds from other country anyway. Thanks again Ken for the great effort!