Picking up and transferring

AmeliaJ

Location (City and/or State)
Hampshire
Hello everybody!!

I've seen a lot about how tortoises don't necessarily like to be handled however I was wondering how everybody gets them to and from for bathing time and roaming time etc.

I'm a first time tortoise owner so any advice about anything, let alone this topic is greatly appreciated!!

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Tortoises don't like being handled very long and in unfamiliar areas, it stresses them out after a while. You can still hold it for a little to bring it to the bath, it's not a big deal. As for roaming time, they shouldn't have roaming time because their cage should have enough space that they can roam enough.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I used to have a nice little plastic bucket to transport my Sully from her enclosure up a floor to where we soaked her. They are just too easy to accidentally drop. In the bucket, to the tub, soak, back in the bucket and back to the enclosure.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
When grabbing use a firm grip! The kick and are surprisingly strong even a little Russian! Transfer tub is very smart!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
My Tortoise goes outside during the day and in at night. Rather than pick him up and carry him I put him in this basket to carry him in and out.

Attachments

• IMG_20200518_202452848.jpg
    IMG_20200518_202452848.jpg
    735.7 KB · Views: 2

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Grants Pass Oregon
We use a Rubbermaid tote. It is less stressful for both Sheldon and ourselves. Since they can wiggle around a lot. Saves me from worrying about dropping him D94B2B46-5AA9-4961-9F20-C4A7F6434EEC.jpeg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I think they mostly hate when their feet dangle. I held Chug against my chest, with my arm clamped around him. He felt secure with his feet against me, and didn't squirm.

Of course, size plays a big role in how well that works.