Genral questions about my new Sulcata Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

MnM10

5 Year Member
I bought a Sulcata Tort a few days ago so im doing my reserch and whatnot.

i was wondering how much or how little i should be handling my tort. the seller didn't know the age but judging by the size it's about 9 months.

how much and how often should i be feeding him?

i've read on a few pages about bathing turtles but i'm not sure how often or how long should i do it.

i live in an apartment complex so would it be ok to let him walk around the front lawn for a bit so he can get some sun?

and last question (i think), is there any special way i should be giving him the cuttlebone or just as it?

thanks for the help its greatly appreciated!

EKLC

5 Year Member
Don't handle your tort for the heck of it. It's fine to do for putting him in a bath or something though.

Feed him everyday, but only healthy foods for a tortoise. There are some good threads on this, it'd be good to read as much as you can on the sulcata subforum.

As for soaking, this helps keep them hydrated, and is a time when many of them poop. Babies should be soaked often (once a day), and as they get older it becomes less frequent. Just get a clean container, put enough warm water (warm not hot) for your tort to drink, but not so much that he has to struggle to keep his head above water. Leave it somewhere warm, but not under the light itself or the water will overheat. Monitor your tort during the soak so he doesn't flip. 10-20 min is fine.

Your apartment complex probably sprays insecticides and/fertilizers on the lawn. Your tort can walk around out there but not eat any of the grass. If you have a sunny balcony and live somewhere warm, that'd be an ideal place to set up a secure outdoor enclosure where your tort could get sun.

just throw the cuttlebone in there, and your tort will chew on it at his leisure. Some don't go for it much, so still provide supplemental calcium unless he really takes to it.

cmosuna

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Stanton, CA
So where is this SULCATA going to livebin a couple of years? I just rescued an apartment SULCATA out of a 10 gallon aquarium who is the size of a yearling but is several years old. Also who's shell feels like a sponge. Your little guy will need a yard within 2 years and that's not optional

Sorry if that came off a little harsh. Its just that so many of these guys end up with people like us and it breaks my heart that we can't help them all

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I handle mine as often as I feel like it and my torts are very outgoing. I think it's up to you how much you want to. I second the concern about living in an apartment. Do you realize how fast and how big Sulcatas get?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Complete ditto.

EKLC said:
Don't handle your tort for the heck of it. It's fine to do for putting him in a bath or something though.

Feed him everyday, but only healthy foods for a tortoise. There are some good threads on this, it'd be good to read as much as you can on the sulcata subforum.

As for soaking, this helps keep them hydrated, and is a time when many of them poop. Babies should be soaked often (once a day), and as they get older it becomes less frequent. Just get a clean container, put enough warm water (warm not hot) for your tort to drink, but not so much that he has to struggle to keep his head above water. Leave it somewhere warm, but not under the light itself or the water will overheat. Monitor your tort during the soak so he doesn't flip. 10-20 min is fine.

Your apartment complex probably sprays insecticides and/fertilizers on the lawn. Your tort can walk around out there but not eat any of the grass. If you have a sunny balcony and live somewhere warm, that'd be an ideal place to set up a secure outdoor enclosure where your tort could get sun.

just throw the cuttlebone in there, and your tort will chew on it at his leisure. Some don't go for it much, so still provide supplemental calcium unless he really takes to it.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
welcome... I kinda wish you had found us and done research before you bought the tortoise.. however.. you have him now.. so ask away! we will help you the best we can..
Feed daily.. Spring mix and other mixed greens.. dark leafy. Very little fruit.. as much real sun as possible.. Balcony? calcium.. and humidty/soakings.

MnM10

5 Year Member
i know- the fact that im in an apartment was a concern for me too. but it was a gift so i wasn't going to turn him away. and the plan is to move my tort to my bf's once comes back home (few months) his parents' house has a big bag yard and so does my dad's house so once i need to i will be moving him.

i know i have a lot to learn but i am very dedicated and i know it's going to be hard work but i am willing to do it.

i am very open to all advise. thanks to everyone,

EKLC

5 Year Member
MnM10 said:
i know- the fact that im in an apartment was a concern for me too. but it was a gift so i wasn't going to turn him away. and the plan is to move my tort to my bf's once comes back home (few months) his parents' house has a big bag yard and so does my dad's house so once i need to i will be moving him.

i know i have a lot to learn but i am very dedicated and i know it's going to be hard work but i am willing to do it.

i am very open to all advise. thanks to everyone,

My general advice:

Don't worry about cutting costs now, because you'll fall in love and buy this stuff anyways:

Get a basking light on a timer, and a ceramic heat emitter controlled by a thermostat. The lights will be on 12 hours a day and when they shut off at night, the thermostat will kick on and the ceramic heat emitter will keep his night temps around 80.

To me this is the easiest way to achieve good temps worry-free. Get a infrared temp probe too. They're 30 bucks, but will give an accurate instant read temperature which will really help.

Read this thread:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1rnjegHbY

and peruse the forum in general before buying anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.