Handling

Kelly.324

Location (City and/or State)
Durham UK
Hi,

I’m looking for some advice; I got my tortoise in November last year when he was about 3 1/2 years old.
He was very nervous when I got him and he’s slowly become a lot less so as I’ve kept handling limited.
However, I’d like him to get to a stage where he would approach me for a head stretch and that sort of thing.
Are there any tips for helping him to become more confident around me and more tolerant, even like, being handled?

Any advice much appreciated :)

Thank you

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Hi,

I’m looking for some advice; I got my tortoise in November last year when he was about 3 1/2 years old.
He was very nervous when I got him and he’s slowly become a lot less so as I’ve kept handling limited.
However, I’d like him to get to a stage where he would approach me for a head stretch and that sort of thing.
Are there any tips for helping him to become more confident around me and more tolerant, even like, being handled?

Any advice much appreciated :)

Thank you
Take it nice and slow you don’t want to stress him out, hand feeding works well for this. My yearlings have just started letting me scratch their necks/heads.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Bribery goes a long way.....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hand feeding helps. So does lots of desensitization. To get him used to whatever you want to do, do whatever it is you want to do.

They are all individuals. Some will readily accept this sort of "attention", others will get used to it in time, and some will remain reticent.

Kelly.324

Durham UK
Thanks everyone :)
He does hand feed, although it did take awhile to get him to do that.
I think I was just too cautious not to over handle him as I think that’s what happened in his last home, he was often taken to nursery and passed around the kids, so no wonder he’s nervous.