Phoenix - tough summer for gardens

Status
Not open for further replies.

pliken

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa & Payson, Arizona
Hello all you desert gardeners -

Just wondering which edible weeds and plants have survived all the 100 plus temperatures? I'm down to bermuda grass, portulaca and fleabane (and constantly fighting the spurge). Had to go to the listings for winter fare in order to do some grocery shopping for variety. I'd like to know what to get established for next summer, if you have any advice.

Paula

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Any of the mallows are pretty drought resistant. The common mallow, Malva neglecta, is a VERY hardy weed. Once its established its pretty hard to get rid of. The desert mallow, sphaeralcea-ambigua, has a very pretty orange/red flower. I also have a nice bush with purple flowers that looks a bit like rose of sharon, malva sylrestris. These should do quite well in your Arizona climate. You might also consider planting a couple grape vines along the perimeter and maybe a fruitless mullberry tree in one corner.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
One thing that IS doing well in the heat is ruellia. It is very easy to propogate and my tort loves the leaves as well as the purple flowers. It can be invasive so needs boundaries. There are two sizes, large bush, and dwarf size, and it is available in Lowe's right now, or in front of some stores if you want to snatch a few branches to propogate in water.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
we've tried the grape vines, both look dead, no matter the care we've tried to give. Thankfully RV is hardier than grape vines....

We'll look for the ruella, and mallow plants. RV could use the variety as well. She does well enough on the bermuda and we work very hard to keep that going (and she works very hard and keeping it clipped short)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
spurge is an edible....you don't like it? I think it is kinda pretty as well as a good munchie for my torts :D What type do you have?

pliken

5 Year Member
Mesa & Payson, Arizona
Thanks for the suggestions. Ruella would be good - I've avoided planting that because it can't take a frost at all, but I could use it as an annual. I keep meaning to drive around and find some mulberry trees growing in someone else's yard (so I don't have to put up with the stink!) I collected some mallow and plantain seeds from Payson, so I'll try to get those started. September 15th is usually planting day for winter crops in Phoenix; I'll be out there sweating! I've got pumpkin, chinese lantern, cosmos, impatiens, zinnia, coleus, sunflowers and nasturtiums ready to go. Lightning, get ready to be (more) spoiled!

ascott said:
spurge is an edible....you don't like it? I think it is kinda pretty as well as a good munchie for my torts :D What type do you have?

The Tortoise Table lists spurges and euphorbias as bad - I have seen some other opinions here. Should I start a new thread?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't understand your "stink" comment. I have a beautiful, big fruitless mullberry tree and its a wonderful addition to my home. Its at least 10 degrees cooler under that tree than the surrounding area. I don't notice any smell with it. Its my favorite tree. Without that tree, my "rain forest" would be a desert.

Spurge is usually listed on the toxic plant lists, however, tortoises really go for it.

pliken

5 Year Member
Mesa & Payson, Arizona
emysemys said:
I don't understand your "stink" comment. I have a beautiful, big fruitless mullberry tree and its a wonderful addition to my home. Its at least 10 degrees cooler under that tree than the surrounding area. I don't notice any smell with it. Its my favorite tree. Without that tree, my "rain forest" would be a desert.

Spurge is usually listed on the toxic plant lists, however, tortoises really go for it.

It's either female or male mulberrys that have a strong punky odor during one season of the year. I already have an Arizona flowering pear that has us closing all the windows during one of the few times during the year we can leave them open! I don't think it's just me - I've heard others complain about the smell, too. Anyway, lucky you to have such a nice addition to your yard. I love trees - my favorite is a really big ghost eucalyptus in our front yard. My husband wants to cut it down because we have to deal with the occasional falling limb, and he's afraid the whole tree will come down in a storm and crush the house. He's right; I'm right - we're compromising on trimming a few branches, but with all the weather news lately it's going to be a tough sell the next time the subject comes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.